Music Thread (with videos)

cressida

36 minutes ago, wearysmith said:

Perfect time of year for some of Tori's melancholy.

She's so lovely.  And that is a fantastic album.  Tori, Ani, and Elv.  Soundtrack to my late 90s.

3 minutes ago, Hecate said:

She's so lovely.  And that is a fantastic album.  Tori, Ani, and Elv.  Soundtrack to my late 90s.

Went through a whole Tori phase in the 90s. That 3-album run from 'Earthquakes' to 'Pink' to 'Pele' was astonishing. Had to get all the CD singles too as they always contained tracks that weren't on the albums. Her marketing people were really savvy.

However, as a polar opposite, this has been my earworm for two whole days now.

2 hours ago, wearysmith said:

Went through a whole Tori phase in the 90s. That 3-album run from 'Earthquakes' to 'Pink' to 'Pele' was astonishing. Had to get all the CD singles too as they always contained tracks that weren't on the albums. Her marketing people were really savvy.

However, as a polar opposite, this has been my earworm for two whole days now.

I discovered Tori quite late, and caught up with earlier albums while waiting for From The Choirgirl Hotel, which was 1998, I think.  Nothing tops Little Earthquakes though.

I've never seen that Charlene video :D .  Only the performances on TOTP.  What a time capsule.  I'm going to go out on a limb and say a bloke wrote that.

2 minutes ago, Hecate said:

I discovered Tori quite late, and caught up with earlier albums while waiting for From The Choirgirl Hotel, which was 1998, I think.  Nothing tops Little Earthquakes though.

I've never seen that Charlene video :D .  Only the performances on TOTP.  What a time capsule.  I'm going to go out on a limb and say a bloke wrote that.

Seems you're right. I'd have never have got that. I thought she'd written it.

"I've Never Been to Me" is a ballad, written and composed by Ron Miller and Kenneth Hirsch and made popular via a recording by American singer Charlene. (WIKI)

If 'Little Earthquakes' is as far back as you go, then it's worth hunting down the 'Y Kant Tori Read' album. It received bad press because it was generic 80s soft-rock. It isn't bad, it's just not Tori as we would love her a little while after.

WjiRfUd.jpg 

3 minutes ago, wearysmith said:

Seems you're right. I'd have never have got that. I thought she'd written it.

"I've Never Been to Me" is a ballad, written and composed by Ron Miller and Kenneth Hirsch and made popular via a recording by American singer Charlene. (WIKI)

Ha!  It would have to be a bloke writing that the woman regrets going around the world having fun and instead should've stayed at home with the hubby having kids, and advising another woman not to have fun either :hihi: .

3 minutes ago, wearysmith said:

If 'Little Earthquakes' is as far back as you go, then it's worth hunting down the 'Y Kant Tori Read' album. It received bad press because it was generic 80s soft-rock. It isn't bad, it's just not Tori as we would love her a little while after.

WjiRfUd.jpg 

I do have that too.  Not my favourite Tori, shall we say.  A similar path to Alanis pre Jagged Little Pill (who is also up there with Tori and Ani).