Music Thread (with videos)

cressida

The Way We Were - Barbara  Streisand. 

Love the song, enjoyed the film. I'm also a fan of Robert Redford who as well as acting in some great films has also directed two of my favourites. 

When I was a younger chap I loved 'cartoon' KISS. All that make-up and glam theatrics. Seen them live numerous times with friends and we still enjoy the pomp and silliness.

Here's ex-KISS guitarist Ace Frehley proving that musically, for him, time's stood still.

Yes....we know he's old enough to know better.....  

Some of you are probably aware that ex-Upperthorpe lad Gaz Richards has an hour long show on Deal Radio (in Kent) every Monday tea-time.  It's specifically aimed at new bands/unsung acts. It's one of my favourite shows to be honest.

Anyone familiar with Steven King's 'The Stand' will twig this song immediately.

It also has a dance-compilation vid and I love those too.  Dance fans will recognise clips from 'La La Land', 'The Umbrella Academy', 'Saturday Night Fever', 'Big', 'Guardians Of The Galaxy 2', 'The Blues Brothers'..... the list does, in fact, go on.

Enjoy, people.

Edited by wearysmith

1 hour ago, Prettytom said:

@Hecate.

Hope yours is at least this good😁

Thank you!

I absolutely demand a gorilla in a party hat with cake and balloons :D .

3 hours ago, wearysmith said:

Babs still clearly quite proud of her legs at this point, and why shouldn't she have been?

You should watch The Mirror Has Two Faces, an ugly duckling film directed by and starring Barbra.  It's a terrible, terrible film but I absolutely love it, not least for the fantastic cast: Barbra, Jeff Bridges and the magnificent and glorious Lauren Bacall (who gets all the good lines, as is right and proper).

Just spotted a little snippet of this on Twitter:

He really puts his back into this performance, especially that final line of the first song. 

Those two songs and this one are the best of the album:

I distinctly remember buying this CD from Our Price my first year at uni, and thinking what the **** did I just listen to when I played it through.  The following year we'd get Brutal Youth, and Elv was back to doing what he does best.

14 hours ago, Hecate said:

You should watch The Mirror Has Two Faces, an ugly duckling film directed by and starring Barbra.  It's a terrible, terrible film but I absolutely love it, not least for the fantastic cast: Barbra, Jeff Bridges and the magnificent and glorious Lauren Bacall (who gets all the good lines, as is right and proper).

Back in '88 we were discussing names for our soon-to-be daughter. I offered up Lauren as I'd always been a Bacall fan. Well, who wasn't after 'The Big Sleep' ? Jan had never seen it but loved the name too. A year later everyone's naming their child Lauren 😀. Felt our coattails were being ridden somewhat. But names are cyclic I guess.

(We always said the 'aur' pronunciation, same as my ma. That's the way her generation said it. Even now when someone says 'Loren' it's like fingernails down a blackboard to us 😆)

kmPj2qj.png

Anyway..... here's another unintentionally mirthsome Babs vid. She plays a leggy, chain-smoking lounge singer being cheated on by Kris Kristoffersen. You'll not be shocked to learn it was (waaaayyyyy over-) produced by Jim Steinman . 

6 minutes ago, wearysmith said:

Anyway..... here's another unintentionally mirthsome Babs vid. She plays a leggy, chain-smoking lounge singer being cheated on by Kris Kristoffersen. You'll not be shocked to learn it was (waaaayyyyy over-) produced by Jim Steinman . 

I rather like that :D .  Though I think she must have locked Cher in a cupboard to prevent her from recording it first.

23 minutes ago, Hecate said:

I rather like that :D .  Though I think she must have locked Cher in a cupboard to prevent her from recording it first.

I have 2 cassettes somewhere in the house. It's a Colin Slade interview with 3 members of the Strawbs. They were on for the entirety of his show. Slade plays favourite songs the band members grew up with and the entire 'Burning For You' album.

The ad for 'A Star Is Born' and snippets from 'Evergreen' must have been on at least 8 times. There was a big push for the film on Radio Hallam  😀