Speedyway in Grenoside Woods

cmann

Hi Dudes

Does anyone remember the speedway track created in Grenoside Woods in the early 70s by local kids. I spent many days and summer evenings racing my Highriser Chopper style bike around this oval with up to 3 other riders at a time. Cut in too tight on the corners and you would hit the trunk of a huge Oak tree. Go too wide and you would end up in stinging nettles. What a time we all had creating our own league of champions. Reg Willson was a local resident who raced at the Sheffield Speedway and he would if asked give out genuine speedway goggles.

Helmets were never used and the tough lads would race in shorts. It seems like yesterday in one sense but in terms of what kids do now it could be a lifetime away.

Long live cycle speedway and the dusty crew.

Chris Mann

i chris my name is chris durrans i used to spend a lot of time up there on a good day mrs wheeler in the corner house gave out free chip butties if u went in to the corner too fast you went over the wall and in to her garden paul haxton/neil edwards were top riders i also used the small track in the bottom wood all the best

i chris my name is chris durrans i used to spend a lot of time up there on a good day mrs wheeler in the corner house gave out free chip butties if u went in to the corner too fast you went over the wall and in to her garden paul haxton/neil edwards were top riders i also used the small track in the bottom wood all the best

Well,well well, Chris Durrans.Haven't heard of you for years! Do you still live in the greno area? I used to be in the same class as Pud,and Ash Cole etc!

Going back to the speedway theme..I remember me getting a pair of leather boots and pud saying 'Bloody 'ell, It's Olly Olson'!!!

• 8 months later...

I remember the track well. They used to call it the Woodyard.

I was in a team called Greno Hawks with some mates off Weavers Close.

Once had a race with Arnold Haley and Bob Valentine who were staying nearby in a caravan. Can't think which one of us won, but they gave us a can of beer.... only 14 or 15 at the time mind !!

Another occasion I remember Pudding forcing Steven Plain off the track and over the wall into the Wheelers garden. Quite a drop if I remember.

Chris Durrans mentions too the bottom track in the woods near Penistone Rd. Called this the Orchard, had an Apple tree in it. Once tried to arrange a local cycle speedway meeting with Chris I think ?? and a team he had got together, but I don't think it ever took place. Happy days ......

• 4 months later...

can anyone give proper location if its still there .as kids we went to the woods over the railway track from millhouses park and spend many hours on the speedway type of track located on the righthand side near the railway line fence .we always had it to ourselfs so it cant have been that well known.the track had bumps,wall of death ,water filled holes etc.that was in the early sixties and was still there about ten years ago .

Archived