Pictures of the Arcade that was near Moorhead

xircon

Anyone seen any pictures of the Arcade that ran through to Union Street from Pinstone Street, where John Fantham had one of his hairdressing/barbers shops?

Been through all the obvious archives and can't find one.

Can't help you with a picture but remember the arcade. UMS used to have an office down there for coach bookings and the blind man selling lavender used to stand on Pinstone Street. Did Fantham have more than one shop? I recall the one on Division Street. The Union Street entrance came out by a cinema.

Anyone seen any pictures of the Arcade that ran through to Union Street from Pinstone Street, where John Fantham had one of his hairdressing/barbers shops?

Been through all the obvious archives and can't find one.

It was called Cambridge Arcade,

there are three or four decent photos on the Sheffield History site,

but you need to be a member to view them.

Its for a mate. He seems to think the blind man sold matches?

I didn't come to Sheffield until 1980. He says yes to the other shop on Division Street.

I thought it lavender but can't be sure, I wouldn't have bought either. Wasn't Suggs at the top corner of the arcade before they moved higher up?

I also recall the barber's shop - whoever the proprietor was - having one of those illuminated striped poles.

Looked on http://www.picturesheffield.com/database but the only arcade mentioned is the Ecclesall Rd. Co-Op. "Union St" - just that!

It was called Cambridge Arcade,

there are three or four decent photos on the Sheffield History site,

but you need to be a member to view them.

Just joined, after getting past their sodding captcha! took me 12 attempts!!!

Do you have a link to the photos on there?

Hodgsons camera shop was also down there. They had a famous annual sale when all the part exchange stuff was sold-off. I remember buying a camera there for sixpence and a case for a penny.

There was also a well-known coffeebar at the bottom.

Archived