Ronnie Crookes

xenia

In 1965/66 Eric Ludlam was the foreman of an overhead construction gang on GPO telephones. My abiding memory was of him single-handedly lifting up a telephone pole & dropping it into the hole. Even in those days when health & safety wasn't a big issue, this definitely wasn't the approved method! He was a real character.

• 11 months later...

I may be able to help one or two of you out with some confusion over Ronnie Crookes. There were actually two of them. One was Ronnie Crookes who was a boxer who then became a doorman. The other was Ron Crookes, born in 1932 who was also a fairly successful boxer. Who also want to Hilsborough Boys Club. He later played in goal for Sheffield United. Ron is still alive and kicking and living in Bedfordshire after retiring as a police officer in the Metroplitan Police.

The coincidences continue as Ron also had two sons, Stephen and Paul. Unfortunately Steve passed away as a very young man but Paul is still alive. (Thats me by the way) If anyone wants to know any info from my Dad let me know and i'll ask him and get back to you.

I may be able to help one or two of you out with some confusion over Ronnie Crookes. There were actually two of them. One was Ronnie Crookes who was a boxer who then became a doorman. The other was Ron Crookes, born in 1932 who was also a fairly successful boxer. Who also want to Hilsborough Boys Club. He later played in goal for Sheffield United. Ron is still alive and kicking and living in Bedfordshire after retiring as a police officer in the Metroplitan Police.

The coincidences continue as Ron also had two sons, Stephen and Paul. Unfortunately Steve passed away as a very young man but Paul is still alive. (Thats me by the way) If anyone wants to know any info from my Dad let me know and i'll ask him and get back to you.

I knew Ron at Hillsborough Boys Club around about 1952 when me and a pal of mine called Terry Cain (we lived in the Woodside area) used to walk to HBC several evenings a week. We loved the atmosphere, and people like Ron (and, indeed, the boss, Stanley Royle) were so friendly. I knew Ron was to go on to play at Sheffield United, but, after I left school and my life went in other directions, I never met him again --though, in later years, I recall talking of him to one or two of the people (and his contemporaries) I knew at Bramall Lane. Great guy, I wish him well.

• 4 months later...

Hello Alex3659

Remembering Ronnie Crookes and his mate Ron Ace Allcard who I am in touch with now, you mention Eric Ludlam as boxer from the 50,s as sparing partner with Randolph Turpin. Is Eric Ludlam the sparing partner who worked in the mid 70,s in the Finishing Dept at Surmanco, Sheffield ?

Gary Marshman, North Wales

Hello Alex3659

Remembering Ronnie Crookes and his mate Ron Ace Allcard who I am in touch with now, you mention Eric Ludlam as boxer from the 50,s as sparing partner with Randolph Turpin. Is Eric Ludlam the sparing partner who worked in the mid 70,s in the Finishing Dept at Surmanco, Sheffield ?

Gary Marshman, North Wales

Gary, I heard today that Alex does not come on the forum much these days so you may not get an answer.