Happy St George's day everyone

Originally posted by LordChaverly

Wouldn't it be a good idea to have Shakespeare Day as our national day, instead of St. George's day?

He was English;

He was a genius;

He is famous all over the world;

He is likely to remain famous for many, many centuries yet;

He is an uncontroversial figure (if you can discard the nonesense about Bacon or others having written the plays);

He looks good on stamps;

He brings more tourists in than St. George ever did;

St. George is not exclusive to England

from LordChaverly - the onlie begetter of the above lines

And excruitiatingly boring to boot..........me thinks!

you shouldn't need reminding :nono:

it's the same day every year - april 23rd.

Now..... just need an argument to stick up for St George being the patron saint of syphilis............nope, can't think of one;)

By the way. There is a St George's beer festival on at the moment at The Graduate pub on Surrey street. All the beers are from Sheffield, Kelham Ialand & Abbeydale breweries. All the beers are £1.50 a pint. Abbeydale Black Mass wheiging in at a p**s making 6.66%. Please dont drink this potent brew cos that means theres all the more for me. BURP!

Originally posted by Snook

That's rubbish, they've all been banned by lefty, hippy, tree-hugging, right-on, sandle-wearing, petulie oil smelling, do gooders... and muslims. Damn those pesky immigants!

pmsl. So true, you can't even fly an england flag without being accosted these days.

St Edmund was and is the Patron-Saint of all English people, wherever they live.

Edward the Confessor was, and perhaps still is, the Patron-Saint of the Anglo-Norman Establishment. (Hence his position in Westminster Abbey, the original of which he had built by his Norman friends).

St George was and is the Patron-Saint of all who live in England.

INTERESTINGLY....

Taken from:

http://www.orthodoxengland.btinternet.co.uk/stgeoren.htm

Originally posted by LoopyLou

you shouldn't need reminding :nono:

it's the same day every year - april 23rd.

And so easy to remember! '2 - 3 - 4'. The 23rd day of the 4th month (And this year was 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 ... the 23rd day of the 4th month, 2005 :D)

:D well our string of flags were out, it was interesting to see the smirks of passers-by too...

I was pleased to see the advert on TV for Bombardier Beer was played BUT it was the only reference I spotted to the fact it was St George's Day.

Even the news reader on Calendar DIDN'T have a red rose on!:rant:

• 3 years later...

Archived