Tracing Haslam? Help!

stevet

Can any one help with tracing living relations of my Great Grandma's family? Haslam's From Ecclesall? I know its a long shot but I know that they lived 101Tadcaster Rd (1911) and her brothers/sister were Harold (1888, Herbert (1889), Cyril (1893), Dorothy Grace (1891), George whittaker (1896), Elsie Winfred (1900) and John Alfred (1905). Would really like to reunite the family and solve mysteries and swap photos etc. Any pointers?

Hi, yes we are related, Cyril Haslam was my husbands grandfather. Cyrils son was Ron my husbands father

Ron had two sisters Nora and May. Nora lived with her husband Norman at 101 Tadcaster Road until she passed away.My husband lived with them for a number of years before we married.

Hi Chris,

Just to let you know, Dorothy Grace was my great Grandma - she moved away from Sheffield and based herself in Cambridge. I am not sure whether there was some kind of family fall out? Do you have any information at all? Do you have any photos, or any other contacts for the family of the other siblings? Would you be willing to talk to me? Steve

Hi I am Peter Haslam, son of Ron and Marjorie Haslam of Grimesthorpe Road Sheffield, nephew of Albert and Irene, cousin to Chris and Dave. I have a Brother Paul and Sisters Gloria and Sharon, myself and both sisters now live in australia where we emigrated back in November 1970. Although I was 14yrs old when I left Sheffield I still have memories of my Fathers Sisters Nora and May. Both my Parents are now deceased.

Hi Steve

The post above this is from my brother in law in Oz. My husbands name is Paul and it looks as if he and Peter are going to be your second cousins. What was your mother and fathers names ? and do you know what year they left Sheffield ?

Until hearing from you we thought the last remaining haslams were Paul my husband Oliver my son and Peter ,Pauls brother. Did you know of any members of the family other than your immediate family?

Hi Chris,

Unfortunately, we know nothing about the family except Dorothy Grace, being my great Grandma - hence the forum - though we have photos of her before her death in 1966. She left Sheffield approximately 1918, I 'sort of' know this by checking her childrens births Certificates, two born in Sheffield (john & Joe) and Elsie & Harry being born in Cambridge. My Grandma was born 1919. Dorothy Grace's only daughter (Elsie - My Grandma) moved back to the north in 1960's, so my family is Manchester based. Btw, though I have haslam genes, the family name is lost as we originate from the female side!

I am surprised how little contact there was between the family. So you know no-one from the other brothers/sisters stated at the very beginning? Doing some basic reseach they remained in Sheffield even after Marriage.

Oh, forgot to mention. I have recently traced children of my Grandmas brother down in Cambridge. So they will be related to you, though distant. My Mum & dad have never lived in Sheffield. Do you have any photos or family documents?

Hi Steve

Cyril your great grandmas brother was my husbands grandad, we knew nothing about the extended family only Ron (husbands father) May and Nora obviously Cyrils offspring. These three have now passed away. I have photos of all three of them, we were very close with them over the years and as i said in my earlier post my husband lived at 101 tadcaster road, neither of us can remember any reference to the names you have given other than Cyril. Are you doing a family tree ?If there was a rift in the family that would explain why they were never discussed. Can you remember your parents talking about the Sheffield branch ? This is quite fascinating isn't it. There was obviously family there we knew nothing about.

Hi Chris,

Yeah, I am trying to pull the family tree together, it seems so complicated!! My dad (relation of yours!), didn't (still doesn't) know anything about the sheffield side, only that his Grandma (Dorothy G) was born there - I don't even think my Grandma (Elsie) knew her uncles/auntie existed either! I have only got all this information from birth Certificates and the censuses upto 1911. My Great Grandma was the only Dorothy Grace in the country it appears, so I know it's right. Furthermore, all the dates, maiden names etc tally with the family documents.

The other siblings did marry, so it is possible that more relations are still around!!

I know my Great Grandma, was a 'wild spirit' (!!), as my Grandma told me that she lived on a bus for some years!! Listen, i am happy to travel to sheffield if you are willing to meet up with me (somewhere neutral?), as I have friends in Chapeltown who i can visit also!! i will bring photos etc so we can compare! Steve

P.S. This is getting exciting as I never dreamt anybody would remember - nevermind reply!

• 3 years later...

Hi,

I hope that this thread is still active as I am the nephew of Ron Haslam and therefore cousin to Peter Paul Gloria and Sharon. I have investigated my family tree and in the process have of course linked to the Haslam line. My mother was May Haslam eldest sister to Ron and Nora. I have traced the Haslam tree back to James and Margarett (strange spelling) Haslam who were born 1792 and 1793 respectively. The links that I have discovered have formed not just a family tree but a veritable forest!!

I hope that this information finds you well, and if you need I can forward a copy of the family tree to yourself.

Regards

Archived