Autistic Hacker - Should he be prosecuted?

Gary McKinnon's crime was not passing on secrets, it was making the Pentagon look stupid and inefficient. His prosecution is motivated purely from spite. If he got past their security single handed, then you can be guarenteed the Russiians and Chinese and maybe even the Caman Islanders have been doing regular virtual tours of their military installations. If anyone should be in the dock, it is the incompetents who designed and ran such a lax system.

This is really what is at the heart of the matter, I agree.

I work with people with autism and asberger syndrome.

True,they generaly know right from wrong but through education.

If he wasn't told what he was doing was wrong, he may not know.

At the end of the day he highlighted flaws in their system and should think themselves lucky it was a harmless individual that did this.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I see it's in the news that Clegg has now decided that he can't help him anymore. Once such a vocal staunch supporter of Gary's cause, he now says it'd be better all round not to discuss the matter with Gary's mother at present.

I suppose it's no more than I'd expect

I see it's in the news that Clegg has now decided that he can't help him anymore. Once such a vocal staunch supporter of Gary's cause, he now says it'd be better all round not to discuss the matter with Gary's mother at present.

Yep.

Yet another pre-election photo op followed by an about turn.

The figures on people who suffer from such conditions in prison are a disgrace. Something like sixty percent of the U.K adult prison population has dyslexia. I know this isn't exactly a problem which stops someone from knowing the difference between right and wrong, but at the same time the trajectory of people who have dyslexia is often a downward one from school. A lack of qualifications leading to unemployment and criminal behaviour is well known. Just uncovers the hypocrisy inherent in our society really doesn't it?

The "rules" are somehow supposed to be adhered to no matter how disadvantaged and alienated a person is, not human in my view.

...as that is the advice that he has been given. He has been told that it has to be dealt with by Theresa May and even if he wanted to be involved he cant be

Read the small print in his actual letter.

...as that is the advice that he has been given. He has been told that it has to be dealt with by Theresa May and even if he wanted to be involved he cant be

He could still speak to his mother, and campaign for his trial in the UK.

Stop trying to justify the unjustifiable. Or is his name now lapdog Clegg?

Archived