Sheffield 'Snowy' Winters

Just been to see my dad (he's 70 and i'm 40) and we were talking about how strange that over the past 12 years there has been so little snow! My daughter is 12 on Saturday and she has never seen 'proper' snow. The last time i remember a good snowfall was when my wife was heavily pregnant with her which was early January 1997! He then got onto telling me about the snowfall of 1947, he was saying that there was so much snow where he lived (Longley Ave West, Shirecliffe) that some of the piled up stuff didn't eventually disappear until early June!! Then they had a scorching summer! He also mentioned walking 5 miles home from work (near Shalesmoor) in the late 70's because of snow! Kids today would find that very hard to believe! Shame really, they are definately missing out! :(

I'll take you up on the football aside. There was no undersoil heating 30 years or so back and coinciding with the bad winters, the Pools' Panel was in action about four weeks running, one winter. Those who could play often had to level the snow off and paint the lines blue, with sand spread around the goal mouths. 1979 was a bad winter and that was the year Wednesday played five FA Cup matches against Arsenal. I remember the first one at Hillsborough (Jan 6 '79) and that 1-1 draw was played out on an icy pitch.

You often had clubs putting braziers on the pitch, ahead of games, to thaw the ice or snow and often the game would be called off on the Friday by a local referee - with a thumbs-down for the photo in the Morning Telegraph.

At Hillsborough, there was always a shadow of about ten yards in from the South Stand that never saw any sun, thus the ground was often bone-hard. Bearing in mind the old leather boots and hard toe-caps players wore, I often heard tails from my late dad, of his toenails going purple before the nails eventually came off - painful!

Health and Safety was unheard of and if the pitch was playable, the match went ahead.

1979 was made worse because that year there was a gritters' strike and with the roads so bad, tankers couldn't get up hills to deliver oil to schools and as there was no central heating or the boiler was broken (something High Storrs School was renowned for) the schools were closed!

I'll take you up on the football aside. There was no undersoil heating 30 years or so back and coinciding with the bad winters, the Pools' Panel was in action about four weeks running, one winter. Those who could play often had to level the snow off and paint the lines blue, with sand spread around the goal mouths. 1979 was a bad winter and that was the year Wednesday played five FA Cup matches against Arsenal. I remember the first one at Hillsborough (Jan 6 '79) and that 1-1 draw was played out on an icy pitch.

You often had clubs putting braziers on the pitch, ahead of games, to thaw the ice or snow and often the game would be called off on the Friday by a local referee - with a thumbs-down for the photo in the Morning Telegraph.

At Hillsborough, there was always a shadow of about ten yards in from the South Stand that never saw any sun, thus the ground was often bone-hard. Bearing in mind the old leather boots and hard toe-caps players wore, I often heard tails from my late dad, of his toenails going purple before the nails eventually came off - painful!

Health and Safety was unheard of and if the pitch was playable, the match went ahead.

1979 was made worse because that year there was a gritters' strike and with the roads so bad, tankers couldn't get up hills to deliver oil to schools and as there was no central heating or the boiler was broken (something High Storrs School was renowned for) the schools were closed!

I was at that Arsenal match! i was 10 at the time, and having a team like Arsenal down at Hillsborough was a massive occasion then! I remember Alan Sunderland putting Arsenal in front, then about a minute after the restart Jeff Johnson scored with a header, and who can forget Jack Charlton getting pelted with snowballs as he tried to stop the kop throwing them at Pat Jennings! Then obviously there was the replays, i went to the 2-2 at Filbert Street, i think my dad went to all of them! and Arsenal went on to win the cup 3-2 against Man United! happy days!!! :thumbsup:

I was at that Arsenal match! i was 10 at the time, and having a team like Arsenal down at Hillsborough was a massive occasion then! I remember Alan Sunderland putting Arsenal in front, then about a minute after the restart Jeff Johnson scored with a header, and who can forget Jack Charlton getting pelted with snowballs as he tried to stop the kop throwing them at Pat Jennings! Then obviously there was the replays, i went to the 2-2 at Filbert Street, i think my dad went to all of them! and Arsenal went on to win the cup 3-2 against Man United! happy days!!! :thumbsup:

SNOW - halting football. I think it was 68/69, I went to a league game at Highbury against Wednesday which was abandoned because of falling snow.

Arsenal were winning 1-0 when the game was abandoned just after half-time.

Strenuous efforts had been made at the interval to clear the lines but more came down on the resumption and that was that! Arsenal won the game when the match was eventually played.

I recall a game at Hillsborough against Southampton which was abandoned because of snow. The referee disappeared down the tunnel and YTV commentator, Danny Blanchflower, said: "Perhaps the referee has gone to get a pair of skis", which sounded great in his Ulster tongue. Danny's words could probably put a year (date) to it?

Archived