Sheffield 'Snowy' Winters

I know in 1947 my dad nearly got arrested for picking up bits of coal on the railway embankment to keep his family warm. Thank goodness for a police sergeant with a bit of compassion, he let my dad off with a warning.

One thing I'd like to know, I was born in August 1947, was it the following winter 1947-8 that was so bad or 1946-7?

Not been up there for twenty years.... has it changed much ? Do the 34/38/39 busses still struggle up the hill ?

Don't know about the bus service, sorry.

Pretty much the same, except the garage pictured in front of the church, got wiped a good few years ago, and was replaced by quite a few houses.....

http://www.earthtools.org/

53.3502°N 1.4725°W

I know in 1947 my dad nearly got arrested for picking up bits of coal on the railway embankment to keep his family warm. Thank goodness for a police sergeant with a bit of compassion, he let my dad off with a warning.

One thing I'd like to know, I was born in August 1947, was it the following winter 1947-8 that was so bad or 1946-7?

My brother was born January 1947 and the snow was so deep that no-one could get to Jessop's Hospital to visit mum. An uncle of mum's who was about to emigrate to South Africa had to buy a load of heavy clothing as he'd already sold everything to go. He had to buy some wellies to go to see mum on foot as there was no transport running anywhere.

There were snow drifts several feet high and many people had to tunnel out of their back doors and, to make matters worse it stayed really bitter for many weeks.

This was followed by an extremely hot Summer.

To answer your question, it was the Winter of 1946/47.

Thanks Duffems, so I wasn't even born then.

Those are great pics RiffRaff, will we ever see snow like that again, I wonder.

Neither was I but, I've heard the stories of that Winter related so many times because of my brother being born right in the middle of it. Apparently, it wasn't just the amount of snow which fell which made records but, the length of the actual Winter which carried right through until March/April. We now complain when temperatures drop to +6!

There's a "famous" photo which shows (from memory) a horse and cart driving through (in effect) a snow tunnel...but I can't find it anywhere.

Unless it just happens to be on a pub wall out at Calver/Baslow/Bakewell way, I was certain it had been taken locally, perhaps in '47.

The wind must have caused drifting on both sides of the (narrow) lane, and had caused it to be "sealed" over the top.

Fantastic photo....certainly b&w, perhaps even sepia.....so it could be pre-47, I suppose.

I remember the winter of '77 when the gritters were on strike.

It took me from 7am to 9.45am to get from parson cross to mosborough.

I was working on the Waterthorpe housing estate,just building it in 77,.

Got into the cabin at 9.45.Had a cuppa.Then radio hallam news came on and said all busses had been taken off.

I set off walking home (in wellies) walked through Normanton Springs where snow drifts were at least 9ft on either side of the road.Went through manor top,city rd into town.Peniston road and back home to the cross.Got home at about 5pm,freezing and shattered.

But all said i'd love to be able to walk in that volume of snow now with my daughter(7 y/o).Butcant see that happenning......can you?

This photo taken at Fulwood in 1947 says it all: http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=t03512

My dad had an allotment in Rivelin Valley, just above the playground, and there was deep snow there until mid-April. He kept his greenhouse clear of snow, but the only way he could get to and from the allotment (to keep the stove going and prevent his tomato plants from freezing) was to put on his waders and walk up the river.

I wasn't born until 1948 (I wasn't daft.;)) but I do remember 1962-63; it wasn't as bad as 1947 but deep snow lasted until March.

Archived