Sheffield 'Snowy' Winters

In the early 70`s we used to get sent home from school when it snowed, took us hours to wlak 3 miles, can you imagine sending kids home alone like that these days! there would be an uproar! no mobiles then, we didnt even have a house phone, but it never entered our heads that no one would be there when we got in! I live down south now and hardly eveer see snow.

I remember the winter of '77 when the gritters were on strike.

Just been informed by SHE WHO MUST BE OBEYED that this was 1978 not 77

sorry.

From some of my earlier references to the gritters' strike and schools being closed as tankers were unable to deliver oil, I suggest Dec '78 into 1979?

I have retrieved the following references:

19 January - Snowed heavily for 48 hours.

20 January - Hallé concert programme revised as Chorus can't get!

5 February - Caretakers' strike

12 February - Heavy snowfall

13/14 Feb - School closed (no oil)

17 Feb - CBSO concert (City Hall) cancelled

18 Feb - University Orch. concert cancelled

16 Mar - Heavy snow - School ends 2.30pm

This was all made worse because there was no grit which made transport very difficult

as roads remained icy or snow covered. Radio Sheffield was very busy with cancellation

announcements. I couldn't get my car within 100 yards of my home for three solid weeks.

Got so fed up, I booked my a first visit to Tenerife that summer. All the above was 1979

but have a 'snow' reference for Dec 20 1978.

From some of my earlier references to the gritters' strike and schools being closed as tankers were unable to deliver oil, I suggest Dec '78 into 1979?

Thanks for that..I must have got early onset of..er er cant remember.:huh::thumbsup:

Archived