La Tasca, Ecclesall Rd

Streetfarce

La Tasca is La Vina. All they did was change the sign on the outside. It's still the same management. It was c**p when it was called La Vina and it's still c**p now. Like you say, It's down to bad management, I experienced the same problems as you.

Sorry for any spelling mistakes and for words that don't exist, I wasn't aware that it was an English test to post on here.

I'm aware that the same company own (or do they franchise? As I heard that the La Vina in sheffield went bust?) La Tasca and La Vina, but I'm suprised you think that the standards where the same in La Vina as they now are in La Tasca.

I would have to disagree, having also eaten in the Leeds La Vina just before christmas. Both myself and the OH thought the service, quality of food and general ambience where of a much higher and more proffesional standard in both the Leeds and Sheffield La Vina.

Well How do you know that's true unless you have worked for them or taken an impromtue Tour of the Kitchen! If that's the Case then why do you have to wait a while then?

Exactly. I cant see Patatas bravas and any of the Chicken dishes being done like that!

A lot of the dishes are also grilled, and it would be impossible to make the paella in the way the person your talking about described.

Im off to their Meadowhall one tonight so I reserve judgement on the food until tomorrow.

Exactly. I cant see Patatas bravas and any of the Chicken dishes being done like that!

A lot of the dishes are also grilled, and it would be impossible to make the paella in the way the person your talking about described.

Im off to their Meadowhall one tonight so I reserve judgement on the food until tomorrow.

I sometimes have to go into restaurant kitchens as part of my job. I'm not trying to convince anyone, just stating facts.

There's nothing wrong with reheating tapas. In Spain, tapas are all pre-cooked and kept in chillers on the bar for you to choose what you want. They are then taken away and reheated. That's what tapas is all about, a quick snack with a few drinks.

The problem with tapas restaurants in the UK is that they try to pretend to be something they are not, like La Vina. The reason you have to wait so long in La Vine is because of bad management. I like it for a drink, but even then I've had to wait ages at the bar just for someone to pour me a drink while the management walk past pretending to do something else.

I'm not saying all La Vina's are like this, the one in Meadowhall when I went was okay. And as for pealla, making a large pot and then freezing it to reheat later is not rocket science. In Spain you have to order it 24 hours in advance to get the real deal. There's not that many grilled dishes on the menu and even then it's pre-cooked and finished off on a grill. Patatas braves are just deep fried potato with a spicy tomato sauce. Don't be fooled into thinking it's all cooked fresh to order.:thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

My GF lives opposite almost and we use la tasca as a place for a late night meal and a pint - she works late hours at DRI and all we have ever found is good food, great service and decent wine. The manager and staff bend over backwards to help, even keeping our order back to the very last minute if she is late home. One day he even offered to wrap it in foil as a take away - bring the dishes back next time!

you dont get that in other places

Horses for courses and although its not haute cuisine or fancy bistro grub it gets 5 stars from us for friendliness, quality and value for money

and I am not on commission!

When living in Manchester some time ago, i used to always go to La Tasca on Deansgate, the original one. Then when Didsbury opened my son & i often had tea here as it was near school.

Since their expansion & buyouts, i have tried Leeds & Sheffield, and neither have been upto scratch or anywhere near as good as Deansgate was or is (i was there a wee while ago). Its not just service & atmosphere, but menu changes and quality/quantity of food.

• 3 weeks later...
None of the tapas are cooked on site. It's all made at their head office, frozen, then reheated in the microwaves on site.

I work at the la tasca on eccesall road and i can GUARANTEE hand on heart that all the food is made on the premises and it's allllll fresh!!

and also we have had a few staff leave recently but have hired some more now so hopefully we will get a few more good comments on here!

i've been for the all you want for a tenner thing at meadowhell and it was fab the first time - no messing and brought everything we wanted in good time. Was a bit of a pain the last time as the girl who served us was insisting on only ordering 3 dishes each and we wanted to order a 7th to share between us and she refused but the manager then cam eover and said we should have been allowed to order it. We didn't bother ordering anything else as it took 45 mins for the first lot to arrive. Ny friends have been since and said it was fine so i must've gone on a bad night.

Went to the one on Ecc rd on sat night, it was busy but the service was quick and the food was great. No complaints whatsoever

I work at the la tasca on eccesall road and i can GUARANTEE hand on heart that all the food is made on the premises and it's allllll fresh!!

and also we have had a few staff leave recently but have hired some more now so hopefully we will get a few more good comments on here!

Extract from La Tasca Plc 2005 annual report

La Cocina

The Company owns and operates a dedicated production and distribution business based in Salford, solely for the benefit of its restaurants. The La Cocina operation guarantees a high quality food product and allows the Company to control the specification of dishes produced. The majority of products are pasteurised ‘‘sous-vide’’ (under vacuum) and are produced ‘‘just in time’’.

La Cocina manufactures 15 products for La Tasca and La Viña (including sauces, tapas, paellas and casseroles) and distributes to each restaurant on a weekly basis. The product range is extended at various times to produce dishes for the Christmas menus and special occasions. The directors believe that La Cocina’s current premises and logistical services could be expanded to service up to 120 restaurants.

I know someone who works for them & an old supplier (pre-Salford production unit) and both say that most of its delivered in vac-pac?????????????

Archived