Job seekers allowance

Someone i know whos partner is working full time and earning £450 a week, is

claiming j.s.a.does ones partners wages not get taken into account or can anyone claim these days, it all seems very strange to me ???

They shouldn't be claiming jsa with a decent wage like that. There are people out there who need JSA and others who abuse it like this fool.

My mother is suffering with her legs but still works. She was told my father could support her on his wage. She wouldn't get a penny if her legs packed in and couldnt work.

Edited by Tipex

Again, ONLY if it's Contributions Based (JSA©), which you can get for the first 26 weeks of being unemployed if you've paid enough National Insurance contributions.

If it's Income Based JSA(I) (which is for those who still have to sign on, haven't paid enough NI, or have exhausted their JSA© entitlement) then the whole household income is taken into account.

Does being on incapacity benefit for the previous 6 years entitle that

person to contribution based J.S.A. I always thought you would have had

to earn enough to pay N.I. contributions, and not had them granted to you

through incapacity benefit ?

Does being on incapacity benefit for the previous 6 years entitle that

person to contribution based J.S.A. I always thought you would have had

to earn enough to pay N.I. contributions, and not had them granted to you

through incapacity benefit ?

Incapacity Benefit (as distinct from Income Support on grounds of incapacity) is also non-means tested and based on previous NI contributions, and so to have claimed that when living with a working partner too if they were the circumstances would have been perfectly legal too.

Whichever way, no, the person would be claiming Income Based JSA now if their previous claim to IB/IS had been finished due to a medical decision. Once more, if you feel/know that fraud is being committed, do something about it. The way to do it has been outlined.

It never ceases to amaze me how angry people get if any of the little people get tuppence more than they're entitled to, when they really should be angry about the millions of pounds of taxpayers money going in out and out fraud to the people at the top who already have more than enough and should be setting an example.

I'm not just referring to the instances that we hear about like Mr and Mrs Ed Balls very generous and ill-aquired second home subsidy, (after all most MPs pull this one,) or the MP who 'employs' his entire family, (again a common way for MPs to increase the money in their pocket, or the current scandal in the house of Lords- £100,000 gratis payments for ammendments, or the fact that MPs are still refusing to publish their expenses in spite of the law saying they must, (I wonder why...) I also include the wealthy who can afford to employ 'clever' accountants so that they end up paying less in tax than their cleaners, and know a million other tax dodges.

When was the last time they ended up in court or prison, or even had to resign their post? And I don't hear them desperate to shop each other to the authorities. They stick together like glue, call in favours and employ the funny handshake to make sure they are never called to account.

If corruption is rife, it starts at the top and costs us a heck of a lot more than money.

The rules regarding JSA are crazy. I was made redundant from Capita last July so I signed on. I found a job through an agency in October, unfortunatley this this job only lasted until just before Christmas. I phoned the job centre and they said I could restart my claim because I had only worked for a few weeks. Last week I enquired about retraining and they said I hadn't been out of work long enough!!, I would have to wait another couple of months. I am not trying to avoid working by retraining, I worked at Capita for the best part of a decade so I am no skiver, I just want to learn new skills to enable me to apply for a wider range of jobs. The government needs to relax the 6 month rule regarding retraining if they are serious about getting people back to work.

Edited by marshlad

Are they actually living together as man and wife?

I cant believe it took 17 posts of people being an arse, thinking they know it all and jumping to conclusions before this question was even raised.

Whether they live together or not makes all the difference.

I know because she told me and showed me her paper work from the job centre, no i cant prove it to you, what do you think im doing making it up

as i go along?

Yes, I rather think you are. Your anger is a negative energy and by spilling out your bile on here you're only harming yourself.

• 5 years later...

Im 37 years old and have never worked in uk. I was born in sheffield and lived there until I was nine. Can I apply for Job seekersallowance even I have never worked or lived there as an adult? I am planning to go there and look for a job but feel very insecure about living there and if I will find a job right away. i am a uk citizen. thankyou.

Edited by Roxyrose
Mispell

Im 37 years old and have never worked in uk. I was born in sheffield and lived there until I was nine. Can I apply for Job seekersallowance even I have never worked or lived there as an adult? I am planning to go there and look for a job but feel very insecure about living there and if I will find a job right away. i am a uk citizen. thankyou.

You will be caught up by rules such as the habitual residence test. This looks at where you normally reside. Clearly you don't normally reside here but other factors are taken into account such as why you left the UK, whether your moving abroad was intended to be permanent, whether you keep links here such as a bank account and property, whether you have family here, etc.

In your case none of that looks good. There is however no black and white answer. You may be entitled. You may not. I doubt that you would be but the only way to test it is to move and apply. That would be a risk and so make sure you have a bit of money to tide you over for a few months.

After a month or two you would become habitually resident but you may well have problems at first.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/wales/benefits_w/benefits_coming_from_abroad_and_claiming_benefits_hrt.htm