The Abbey Road Webcam

Let me know when you spot a group of Japs mown down on the crossing, won't you?

One will be minus his shoes (a la Paul) and all the rest will be carrying their JVCs, totally oblivious to the oncoming ten ton truck.

Believe me: wait long enough and it will happen.

I'm surprised anyone manages to get a photo of anyone crossing it, it's such a busy road. But you can always guarantee there's someone with a death wish who runs out into the oncoming traffic, just to get a snap.

Jen,

Am I right in thinking your post count has gone down?

I'd guess it's quite easy to forget that you're standing in the middle of the road when you first come across the world's most famous zebra crossing.

I recall visiting Abbey Road in 1983 and coming out of the tube station. St John's Wood is incredibly green and suburban and one wouldn't expect to find a recording studio in such a place. The houses are like those you find on Gladstone Road in Ranmoor, huge, detached, victorian villas. The crossing is a stone's thrown from a roundabout so whilst it might seem quiet one minute, you can find a rush of traffic behind you suddenly.

I managed to take a photo of the crossing, standing in the middle of the road. There was hardly any traffic around (but it is 26 years ago!). Of more interest to me though is the scrawling 'graffiti' fans of the Fab Four constantly plaster on the front walls of Abbey Road. In all languages and in different styles of writing, it makes interesting reading. 'Love is all you need' and 'the word is love' sung the Beatles. Reading these messages, this is the main feeling you get. It can be quite emotional! The walls have to be repainted regularly.

A visit to Abbey Road is sensational. The place has a vibe all of its own. When I last went there I almost expected an ex-Beatle to pop his head round the door. Studio 2 is cavernous and a bit intimidating. But to think all that great music was made there, not just by the Beatles but by the likes of Edward Elgar, it truly is a fascinating place.

I heard the vocal only demo to 'Because' and George's demo to 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps' through number two studio's speakers. I cannot describe the feeling. Thinking about it now can make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up!

I agree: let's have a live cam on Abbey Road's crossing!!

Studio 2 is cavernous and a bit intimidating. But to think all that great music was made there, not just by the Beatles but by the likes of Edward Elgar, it truly is a fascinating place.

I had no idea Elgar had done anything at Abbey Road. Interesting :)

I'd love to go round the studios. I will one day!

I'd guess it's quite easy to forget that you're standing in the middle of the road when you first come across the world's most famous zebra crossing.

I recall visiting Abbey Road in 1983 and coming out of the tube station. St John's Wood is incredibly green and suburban and one wouldn't expect to find a recording studio in such a place. The houses are like those you find on Gladstone Road in Ranmoor, huge, detached, victorian villas. The crossing is a stone's thrown from a roundabout so whilst it might seem quiet one minute, you can find a rush of traffic behind you suddenly.

I managed to take a photo of the crossing, standing in the middle of the road. There was hardly any traffic around (but it is 26 years ago!). Of more interest to me though is the scrawling 'graffiti' fans of the Fab Four constantly plaster on the front walls of Abbey Road. In all languages and in different styles of writing, it makes interesting reading. 'Love is all you need' and 'the word is love' sung the Beatles. Reading these messages, this is the main feeling you get. It can be quite emotional! The walls have to be repainted regularly.

A visit to Abbey Road is sensational. The place has a vibe all of its own. When I last went there I almost expected an ex-Beatle to pop his head round the door. Studio 2 is cavernous and a bit intimidating. But to think all that great music was made there, not just by the Beatles but by the likes of Edward Elgar, it truly is a fascinating place.

I heard the vocal only demo to 'Because' and George's demo to 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps' through number two studio's speakers. I cannot describe the feeling. Thinking about it now can make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up!

I agree: let's have a live cam on Abbey Road's crossing!!

Not only Abbey Road, but the famous BBC Maida Vale studios are just round the corner as well. I used to work near there, and spent many an enjoyable lunch hour wandering around the leafy streets and muso spotting.

Archived