The Abbey Road Webcam

My son (a Beatles fanatic) has managed to extract a promise from me that the next time we go down to London, I will take a photo of him on the crossing. This is not something that I am looking forward to, for obvious reasons.

If he's got his heart set on having his photograph taken on the crossing, then I'd suggest going on a Sunday morning. I was once at the studios on a Sunday at about 9:30am and the lack of cars (and people in general) was surprising. If you're going to do it, I'd imagine this would be the best time.

Expect some tut tut-ing and eye rolling from the drivers if cars do come though, even if you're genuinely trying to cross the road!

If he's got his heart set on having his photograph taken on the crossing, then I'd suggest going on a Sunday morning. I was once at the studios on a Sunday at about 9:30am and the lack of cars (and people in general) was surprising. If you're going to do it, I'd imagine this would be the best time.

Expect some tut tut-ing and eye rolling from the drivers if cars do come though, even if you're genuinely trying to cross the road!

Thanks Jen, a Sunday morning it will have to be! His heart is totally set on it, bless him.

..the pic takers are often stood in the middle of the road, yards away from the crossing!

Ah I see. Fair enough then.

They are stood in the middle of the road on Abbey Road though. While it doesn't make it right, I'm sure the majority of drivers fully know what to expect when going that route.

Ah I see. Fair enough then.

They are stood in the middle of the road on Abbey Road though. While it doesn't make it right, I'm sure the majority of drivers fully know what to expect when going that route.

You could write a book on human behaviour just watching the footage for 5 minutes. The ones who stand in the road taking pictures are particularly reckless, like being in possession of a camera gives them some legitimacy for being there. The ones on the crossing who stop and strike the pose invariably look embarrassed about it, but cant help themselves for a moment of notoriety!

Everyone who stops IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD,is lucky they dont get hurt,etc!!

I wonder if anyone's tried to Do It In The Road. :hihi:

Suffy, have you ever thought of buying your son white objects and telling him they're special editions printed with the cover of The Beatles' 'The Beatles' album?

ETA: OK watched it now. It's mesmerising, and so weird watching people suddenly stopping mid-step. It gives a whole new meaning to Musical Statues.

I've also just had a thought: how common are zebra crossings abroad? Especially with Belisha Beacons? I imagine there are many places that don't have anything like that, so just *a* zebra crossing itself must be quite exciting to foreign tourists, never mind the world's most famous example. They look quite groovy really don't they?

I love the people who are trying to cross normally, with that determinedly nonchalant vibe 'I'm NOT a tourist, OK?'

Archived