Gluten Free in Sheffield

rachelred

Hi there, just wondering if anyone know anywhere in Sheffield that provides good gluten free food? Only been diagnosed as coeliac for a few months and am findind that a lot of places don't really understand it. Thyme cafe have been really good, but other than that I havent had much luck, so any help or advice would be much appreciated, thanks

the only place I know about which caters specifically for coeliacs is called 'Silly Yaks' but unfortunately - its in Australia.

I just googles SY and there seem to be a number popping up all over the place, but at a glance - this seems like a place to start.

http://www.sulekhab2b.com/sell/search/gluten-free-food-grain-uk.htm

There are some establishments that will understand it, and they also know their own ingredients too. For example, a lot of people know about the nut allergy one. You need to be able to speak to the right person when you ring up, and if you are lucky, you will be able to speak to someone directly who knows the food, and also has contact with the actual chef who will do the cooking, and relay on your requirements. That is something that you have to ask. It would be better if you pre-book before you go on the night.

Please ensure that yo are tested for the disorder, at least twice. i was diagnosed at 3 years old in 1972, but in 1988 i tried to join the R.A.F. & i was told that i could not because of the coeliac, i argued with just about everyone, parents, doctors, officers from the forces, just about anyone who would listen, until eventually my doctor gave in & ordered a retest.

Result, i never had the problem in the first place, & the hospital mysteriously lost all my previous records, 4 good things came from that retest,

1, I found out that i was clear,from coeliac disease

2, I was able to eat cake, biscuits etc,

3, I was able to join R.A.F. for 9 fantastic years,

4, never having to eat that horrible tinned bread, from the chemist again.

Never give up,

i do know that asda & tesco now sell a wide range of gluten free products, not like when i was growing up & paying a fortune at the chemist, for their horrid tinned bread etc.

I have been to the Noodle Inn, London Road which was lovely and you can get rice noodles instead of normal ones. The waitress was also very good at pointing out what would be ok for me to eat. The service, food and cost were excellent.

A good source, although a bit pricy - but then all gf stuff is, go to waitrose they have pies, pizzas, sausages that are gluten free and loads of other stuff as well.

Hope that helps.

Archived