Fuel Protest Planned

Originally posted by Greenback

I hope the police will be out to stop these anti-democratic idiots from getting up to their old tricks again.

I'm with Patchy, let's get those eggs ready.

Isn't the right to demonstrate part of democracy?

At least there may be a bit less environmental damage from pollution for a few days if these undemocratic blockades go ahead. I'm in favour of tax on petrol as those of us who drive are causing pollution, but I would like to see the government spending some of the tax on subsidising public transport.

Better start stocking up on eggs and tomatoes, as well as petrol.

Originally posted by Patchy

At least there may be a bit less environmental damage from pollution for a few days if these undemocratic blockades go ahead. I'm in favour of tax on petrol as those of us who drive are causing pollution, but I would like to see the government spending some of the tax on subsidising public transport.

Better start stocking up on eggs and tomatoes, as well as petrol.

Remember that some of us don't get a choice and have to drive the car, public transport isn't an option for me and I am only a poorly paid student :mad: So fuel increases affect me a great deal.

Also remember the higher price of petrol/diesel, also means the cost of good will go up as it will be costing the logistics firms more to deliever goods.

Originally posted by Skatiechik

and I am only a poorly paid student :mad: So fuel increases affect me a great deal.

If you're a poorly paid student, then the question would be: can I afford to run a car? Granted, public transport is a joke, but I'm always amazed by how many students drive cars, some who live within 1/2 mile of University itself.

the environmental issue is a good point. But by levying this very high rate of tax the government hobbles our economy when compared to other less environmentally concerned (because that's the real reason, right, not tax revenue) countries, such as most of europe.

Of course if that argument wasn't just a cynical ploy to keep generating more tax revenue from drivers then green issues would be on the labour and conservative manifestos...

Originally posted by Ousetunes

If you're a poorly paid student, then the question would be: can I afford to run a car? Granted, public transport is a joke, but I'm always amazed by how many students drive cars, some who live within 1/2 mile of University itself.

Except I don't, I live 40miles down the road and work off-campus, involving an hours drive on the motorway each morning and evening :gag:

Archived