Fuel Protest Planned

Fair point Skatiechik!!!!! An hour's drive on any motorway - HORROR! (Especially if you're coming from Nottingham; that section up to Sheffield is a nightmare.)

But, y'know what? I got to Cornwall in 4 hours a month back.

Albeit, setting off at 3.50 in the morning:clap:

Originally posted by Phanerothyme

How much tax do farmers pay on their fuel? Am I mistaken in thinking they are permitted to use a much lower tax threshold diesel fuel?

Red diesel is taxed at 3p a litre compared with 46p a litre for standard road fuel diesel. The EU spends around $100billion annually subsidising farmers, meaning that developing nations lose out on around $24billion a year.

If I was a farmer, I'd either be working hard on making my business sustainable, or keeping my head very low indeed.

I definitely wouldn't be shouting the odds about government taxation levels, while at the same time stealthily digging my hand deep into the public's pocket.

The gall of some of these people is frightening.

Originally posted by Ousetunes

Fair point Skatiechik!!!!! An hour's drive on any motorway - HORROR! (Especially if you're coming from Nottingham; that section up to Sheffield is a nightmare.)

But, y'know what? I got to Cornwall in 4 hours a month back.

Albeit, setting off at 3.50 in the morning:clap:

I dread to think what speed you were travelling at, it normally takes me on average 7-9hours to get down to Cornwall. :)

I wasn't going too fast. It's just that I have never seen the motorways so deserted - I think it's the best journey I've ever made! I stuck to about 70-80 with just one or two sessions touching a ton. There were roadworks on the M42 and they were littered with cameras, so I slowed right down.

Infact, I counted four cars overtaking me by the time I reached Bristol. We got to Port Isaac, just down from Tintagel in 4 hours 15 minutes.

If only it was like this more often....,

Originally posted by Greenback

Red diesel is taxed at 3p a litre compared with 46p a litre for standard road fuel diesel. The EU spends around $100billion annually subsidising farmers, meaning that developing nations lose out on around $24billion a year.

If I was a farmer, I'd either be working hard on making my business sustainable, or keeping my head very low indeed.

I definitely wouldn't be shouting the odds about government taxation levels, while at the same time stealthily digging my hand deep into the public's pocket.

The gall of some of these people is frightening.

Perhaps some of the protesters have other motives rather than just objecting to the price of fuel. Last time they did this more banners seemed to mention the word "hunting" than "fuel".:)

Originally posted by Greenback

Blocking the Queen's highway (I'm referring to the go-slow parades).

What right have these people got to stop me, as a payer of road tax, from getting to my place of work at which I earn my living?

As a fellow petrol head and King of the Road Greenback I agree that non should get in my way:evil::wink: but wouldn't you rarther pay less for the fuel you burn getting to your place of work? :loopy:

Don't mention road tax as we know how many £££'s of that goes back in tarmac :evil:but thats another matter:rant:

Originally posted by nightrider

Last time (well the time before last) it snowed in sheffield I couldnt buy bread for 2 days (either because it couldnt be delivered or people were panic buying). What the hells a fuel blockade gonna do to our supply lines? Guess I had better start stocking up now...

I've just aquired 25 gross of baked beans, so every one click on Ebay, no time wasters please

Originally posted by claycraft

As a fellow petrol head and King of the Road Greenback I agree that non should get in my way:evil::wink: but wouldn't you rarther pay less for the fuel you burn getting to your place of work? :loopy:

I would. But then again, cars are cheaper to buy than ever before (in relative terms), much more fuel efficient than ever before, and last longer than before. According to this report:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/oil/story/0,11319,611320,00.html

"relative to rising real incomes, the cost of motoring has fallen by 30% since 1964."

Archived