Old Cigarette Makes

sandie

• 3 months later...
As mentioned earlier, Blue Book pack of 10 was 2 turkish, 2 sobranie, 2 cuban, 2 French and 2 something else.

And I have never been able to forget the sheer enchantment of a packet! It was; two Virginia, two Cuban, two Russian, two Turkish, and two Egyptian. I'm sure of this as the taste of each type is forever etched in my memory.

I was absent from the UK for six years and came back to find that Blue Book were no longer available. I consoled myself with Benson & Hedges Turkish Ovals for a few years but cannot find them now....

A friend brought back some delicious Egyptian and Russian flavour cigarettes from Switzerland. One brand has a man in a fez as a logo on each stick. I intend to travel there soon in order to stock up!

I wish Blue Book would come back though...

Other smokes of distinction:

Sullivans Turkish Ovals

Passing Clouds

Sweet Afton

Does anyone remember the cabbage/lettuce cigarettes sold at Tescos for a while; the year was 1967? (At least I think it was Tescos...)

Crikey, I'd forgotten those ones; yes, the schoolboy's favourite, convenient and cheap!

Didn't they do a few other brands in fives, like Woodbines? I seem to remember starting on Woodbines then moving up to Park Drive and after that Blue Book with the occasional foray into American makes when I could afford it. (Once on a school trip to London I bought some Camel filters which were new then. The shop was in Soho near Charing Cross Road.)

Archived