Elderly cutler

Red Owl

I am looking for an elderly chap who may have worked in the cutlery industry years ago. I am trying to figure out how some knives were made. One question is on some of the half tang butcher knives- how were the scales or handles put on? In any event, any suggestions welcomed. Thanks.:cool:

I was thinking of an earlier style although I think the method was used with Wilson Butcher knives as late as 1930, maybe a little later. There was a half tang and the wooden sides or scales were of equal thickness. Five iron nails, in an "H" pattern were used- not copper cutler rivets. The sides or scales splayed out and conformed around the half portion of the tang. In examining old knives there is a definite bend in the wood. Trouble is- these were inexpensive butcher knives so I doubt a very complicated method was used. Perhaps the wood was streamed but such a short piece of wood would still be hard to bend. I think oxalic acid softens wood. In any event I've asked a lot of knife collectors on how the sides of the handle were installed and no one knows. That's why I was hoping there may still be a few people around that remember how it was done.

I am a bit of a history nut, my hope is that the secrets of the old time craftsman are written down and preserved. It would be a shame to forever lose the information.:)

No, is there any way to contact them? Thanks

I think Stan Shaws shop is on Garden St and you could contact Ken Hawley throught the Universitys Hawley Building on Mappin St just of West St or you could probably contact both of them through the Kelham Island Museum.

Archived