East One noodle bar - West One

Geoff

Just thought I'd add that I visited East One for the first time last night and it was absolutely fantastic!!! I had #29 (Chaing Mai Noodles - Ramen noodles in spicy red curry & coconut broth, topped with prawns, chicken & bamboo shoot flavoured with lime leaves and juice). I was really dubious about having soup as a main course, but when I saw the size of the bowl I was pleasantly surprised!!!

I'll definitely be going again! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

My girlfriend and I go several times a week, the staff have started to recognise us and remember what we order. They're always friendly and really helpful.

They have put out a new menu this week and everything is about £1 more expensive than it was before, but to be honest it's so good in there I don't mind.

I still feel like a spanner asking for a fork though :(

• 2 weeks later...

I refuse to go now after they stopped providing tap water (I usually have a beer, but like water too). Now we just go to Zing Va.

Overall East One seems to be a poor attempt at a Wagamama type restaurant.

(Wagamama is a chain, with no restaurants in Sheffield yet but it is far nicer than East One. If you see one in Manchester, London, Nottingham Etc, I highly recommend them.

http://www.wagamama.com/ )

I went to East one a while ago and haven't been since and won't go again!

The service was bad, they got our orders all wrong, we remained calm and polite to explain it was wrong and they got agro with us, pointing at our faces. We asked to speak to the manager as the waitress couldn't speak english or understand us. The manager couldn't be arsed to come to the table. We finally got him to come to the table and he was rude, but he siad pointing wasn't rude in china. We explained it was here! We said we were happy to pay for the food we'd ordered (and it was good food, which we told him) but we weren't going to pay for the random orders they had dumped on our table which we hadn't touched. We were also not going to pay for the meal that didn't turn up! The manager started saying we had to pay, otherwise his boss would beat him up....it all got very sinister and we had to tell him, not to put up with that, we're in the UK now and this sort of thing shouldn't be happening. It was all very shocking, he was genuinely scared that because his staff had mucked up, herwould get a beating!

Maybe this was a one off, but the food was good (the food we actually got!)

I went when it had just opened and i know what you mean about the language problems,non of the staff could speak english. Been twice recently and all the staff seem fluent and we had absolutly no problems ordering. The only thing i'd say be warry of is ordering drinks,as i pint of larger will set you back a massive £3.90! :o:(

I think what annoyed me the most, wasn't the fact that they couldn't speak english, but because they couldn't understand us and when they got the order wrong they got arsey and wouldn't take responsibility for their mistake, they blamed us, which I don't think is good customer service. Rule 1: The customer is right! They denied the fact they wrote it down incorrectly. If they didn't understand they should have asked for clarification! The second thing that annoyed me was a cultural difference, but they kept pointing at us to our faces, which I deem and most people in the UK deem rude. We explained (politely) that we found that offensive and they said that it was normal in China to do that. Fair enough, but we weren't in China! It's a bit like those HSBC adverts!

Maybe I'll give it another go, the food was nice after all.

• 5 months later...
Originally posted by will_

I refuse to go now after they stopped providing tap water (I usually have a beer, but like water too). Now we just go to Zing Va.

Overall East One seems to be a poor attempt at a Wagamama type restaurant.

(Wagamama is a chain, with no restaurants in Sheffield yet but it is far nicer than East One. If you see one in Manchester, London, Nottingham Etc, I highly recommend them.

http://www.wagamama.com/ )

I had to laugh at this. Why? East One and Zing Va are owned by the same bloke, so you're boycotting one place and rewarding him in the other!

I prefer one off places to chains any day.

• 2 years later...

as this thread is so incredibly old and we are thinking of going here for our works christmas do....can anybody provide an up to date review?

we have nmost of us been to east one, but nobody has been for at least a year or so...and we all know how much places can change! :(

thanks in advance,

x

Archived