Horsemeat shop in Sheffield?

Texas

My grandfather used to follow the rag & bone man round pitsmoor when he was a lad. Carrying a knife & fork & wearing a bib. When I asked him why? he always used to say "well if the horse drops dead I can get a free meal"

• 3 weeks later...

Herbert Thomas had 2 horsemeat shops in Sheffield - up till the 1960's. After that he sold horsemeat for dogs from his home in Pitsmoor.

He never sold Donkey meat - the family was very superstitious and he would not kill a Donkey because of the cross on its back!

He died in 1993 after moving to Derbyshire - his wife is still alive at 90.

He never sold Donkey meat

Accept my apologies,

Herbert Thomas,

Horse flesh dealer,

28, Hereford Street.

It was some time ago poss late 70's when we demolished

Hereford Street,

was it his shop with the tile mural of farm animals on the walls?

The shop with the mural was the regular butcher's shop across the road. The were two more shops belonging to Herbert Thomas - one in meadow street and one in duke street and another one somewhere selling 'knacker'meat (no fit for human consumption). This had to be dyed green.

The were two other family businesses selling horsemeat with several shops each.

Horsemeat was necessary during both world wars - there being a shortage of food in general. The army used to take their horses to be killed regularly - apparantly they were unfit after having been in battle. I know he bitterley regretted having to kill some of them, he was not a cruel man and I believe he would have chosen a different career if it was not for the 'family' business.

The shop with the mural was the regular butcher's shop across the road.

I think this may have gone to the museum, seem to remember them having something to do with it.

Still trying to picture Hereford st. as it was, remember a pub same side as Herbert's, also a hairdressers.

Archived