Horsemeat shop in Sheffield?

Texas

I know another Horsemeat shop, not been open long, It's called Mor**son's. We just had our Sunday dinner and that's where we got the joint from. We did not ask for Horsemeat but I am pretty sure we got it. And after dinner I said to the wife was that supposed to be beef and she said "neigh " and galloped into the kitchen.

Originally posted by Fareast

I distinctly remember a shop that sold Horsemeat , somewhere on Attercliffe Common----can't be exact . Strangely enough it said in brackets , " Fit for Human Consumption ". Can't have been too re-assuring for any potential customer , can it ?

I understand in France and some other countries that horsemeat is regarded like beef and why not ? We eat pigs , hens , rabbits and the offal of many of these animals so how can we turn up our noses at horsemeat ? Always puzzled me that .

think it was next to the horse and jockey

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Fareast

I distinctly remember a shop that sold Horsemeat , somewhere on Attercliffe Common----can't be exact . Strangely enough it said in brackets , " Fit for Human Consumption ". Can't have been too re-assuring for any potential customer , can it ?

I understand in France and some other countries that horsemeat is regarded like beef and why not ? We eat pigs , hens , rabbits and the offal of many of these animals so how can we turn up our noses at horsemeat ? Always puzzled me that .

when the war was my dad worked at brown baileys

he got some horse meat from that shop must have been near the top of newhaall road it was like a dark blue in color

cant remember what it taste like

• 7 months later...

i remember a horsemeat shop in spital hill(what a name)We used to queue up to get some it was the only meat we could get, and that was well past the war.Yes the French do eat it all the time its classed as a delicacy.Sometimes we could even get two eggs also,how goods that.:clap:

Yes I can remember the one on Attercliffe Common....between Newhall Road and Clay Street. Nearer to Clay St and I think the pub WAS the Horse and Jocky.....

Next or next but one to Boldocks where I used to get a pennorth of crab claws. I can smell them now....

:D

Hi Glen,

I always thought that there was a horsemeat shop up Spital Hill but Texas should know. I know there was a tripe shop up there, but tripe shops are another subject entirely

Of course, there was Mattock's at the corner of Spital Hill and Brambers Street. One of the best regular butchers shops in the city. Does anybody remember Mattocks making their deliveries by Horse and Trap?

• 5 weeks later...

There was another horsemeat shop on Meadow Street during the second world war. I’m not knocking the stuff, but whoever thinks it tasted like good quality beef should see his doctor about his tastebuds. It had no taste at all and it was crap! Another good reason for not joining the European Union! They all like horsemeat over there!

Archived