Horsemeat shop in Sheffield?

Texas

I think there was one in Crooks, next to where Noahs Ark is now.

You are quite right, there was a horse meat shop in Crookes. I can remember buying it odd times for the dog and can still recall the revolting smell it made when it was boiled.

I think it was just below the top of Coombe Road and I believe the owner committed suicide. This would be mid to late fifties.

• 5 years later...

I remember it well, I worked at the William Talbots butchers shop across the road but a couple of shops further up nearer the Moor, my dad managed the William Talbots shop on Hereford Street where I first started to work as a butcher, I think the manager of the horse meat shop at that time around 1964/5 was called Fred, he was a real character and used to "F" and blind when he was talking to customers or other shop workers, I tried horse meat it was ok, a darker red than beef and a slightly stronger smell not bad tasted at all.

Next door to Talbots butchers was a jewellers, lower down Hereford Street was a pork shop and next door to that was "dirty dicks" a typical greasy spoon cafe of the time always smokey as people smoked everywhere then that sold the best ever bacon sarnies and huge iceing topped cherry buns, I always remember the guy who sold newspapers from 3 pm ish as he was shouting " late night fineeel" for what seemed like hours, he was stood out in the open in all weathers with only an umberella in the worst rains, I remember the lunchtime hooter going at the cutlerey firms then the women would run down the road with their paper aprons rustling as they raced to be first in the queue as they only had 30 or 40 mins to get their dinner and do whatever shopping they needed to do, there were several real characters and its where i first heard a woman swear, lol, young Mr Talbot was teased by them if he happened to deliver meat during their lunchtime urged on by winks and nods by my dad, I remember Mr Talbot having a crimson embarrassed face when as he carried a side of pork in one of the buffers said "nah then lad tha's just hit me in the face with thee tail" I nearly busted a gut !! the moor was a narrow two way street that was always jam packed with cars seemingly stuck in traffic, there were no supermarkets then, not counting the co-op, and so everyone was loaded up with carrier bags full of food shopping from thursdays until saturday night, busy bustling but happy days.

Ray Foster, Chapeltown, Sheffield.

There were two saddlers in 1948

F.J.MARSDEN 43 Blonk st.

Fred KELK 82 Blonk st.

can remember the stone horse head in the wall above one of them.

The only horse meat dealer I can remember was down the Moor

was it Hereford Street, Herbert Thomas dead horse and donkey buyer, can remember demolishing his shop.

i worked down there at the back of staples in the 60s i worked in a garage as a n aprentice auto electrtion there were loads os shop's on hereford st it was my job to go and get sarnies, for the lads on the right hand side going up there was one shop that sold horse meat for human consumptiand at any time people bought it for their pets

---------- Post added 02-05-2013 at 13:01 ----------

There were two saddlers in 1948

F.J.MARSDEN 43 Blonk st.

Fred KELK 82 Blonk st.

can remember the stone horse head in the wall above one of them.

The only horse meat dealer I can remember was down the Moor

was it Hereford Street, Herbert Thomas dead horse and donkey buyer, can remember demolishing his shop.

i worked down there at the back of staples in the 60s i worked in a garage as a n aprentice auto electrtion there were loads os shop's on hereford st it was my job to go and get sarnies, for the lads on the right hand side going up there was one shop that sold horse meat for human consumptiand at any time people bought it for their pets

there was a horse meat shop on Duke st. during the war.When i was on afternoons i went each week and joined a long queue all wanting horse meat.you coulnd,nt tell the difference except that the fat was yellow

And after the war too. I remember it in the late 40s/early 50s before the Park Hill flats were built.

Archived