Clearing the snow from your path ,being sued .

my wife and I have just been clearing the snow from the front of our house and a neighbour came out and said "if anybody slips there now they can sue you ", whats the world coming to ?. when I was a kid all the street would be out clearing the paths and road . I do think peoples attitudes have changed for the worse .

my wife and I have just been clearing the snow from the front of our house and a neighbour came out and said "if anybody slips there now they can sue you ", whats the world coming to ?. when I was a kid all the street would be out clearing the paths and road . I do think peoples attitudes have changed for the worse .

Just nipping up to your place now, so I can 'slip'.

I do hope you are insured.

:hihi:

Seriously though :roll:

I'm told its something to do with you acknowledging the existence of a hazard by clearing the snow, and in doing so if you haven't fully removed the hazard you could be liaible. Or some such twaddle. Don't know if its true, urban myth or just true in theory but never actually happened!

You can be sued alex

If snow is left, the council is liable

Clearing snow from pavements outside your home could make you liable to legal action if somebody slips on ice, the government has said.

But if householders leave the snow, the council is liable, Lord Davies of Oldham, for ministers, told Tory Lord Burnham at question time.

Claims against householders were "few and far between," he added.

But Tory Baroness Carnegy of Lour called for a law change, to encourage people to "do their bit".

Labour ex-minister Lord Dubs added: "Something I have done for years every time there has been snow is leaving me liable to legal action."

Lord Davies said: "No householder is at all responsible, providing they do not touch the pavement, which is owned by the local authority."

If people completely and utterly and totally clear away all snow and return the pavement to the situation it was in before the snow landed, they have done an excellent job

Lord Davies of Oldham

But he added: "The moment they address the issue of the pavement with a view to improving things, which may lead to a deterioration, it may be their action that makes them culpable."

"If people completely and utterly and totally clear away all snow and return the pavement to the situation it was in before the snow landed, they have done an excellent job.

"If it is done in a less than complete manner and leaves ice, which is more dangerous than the original covering of snow, it may not necessarily be the local authority that is responsible but the householder for having dealt with the pavement."

If the exchanges led to fewer people clearing snow, Lord Davies added, "that would be a great pity and I would have acted to the detriment of the nation".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/3453039.stm

Well l agree with you there Alex, when we had snow every winter, everbody used to clear the paths of snow so you could walk safely rather than tramping through 2 foot of snow. We even cleared the drives of the elderly as they could not do their own. Clear then salt was what we used to do.

Archived