Clearing the snow from your path ,being sued .

and this sums up the world today - its blame, blame, blame:rant:

In fairness, it's forever been the case-you can sue someone for what ever reason you want-but the costs of litigation generally mean people will onlydo so when they believe they have a convincing case.

Obviously proving a homeowner has been negligent in clearing snow that you subsequently slip on and it causes an injury isnt easy, because most of us (including the courts) know that snow creates a hazard where we cannot guarantee we won't slip and fall over.

If it were as easy as simply slipping on ice and making a claim against someone, the ambulance chasing lawyers would be all over the TV advertising their winter offers!

Fabulous. I've just spend the last hour trying to find somewhere that sells shovels (and has some left) to clear the outside of my shop to make it cleaner and safer for people.

And now I am liable if they choose to walk on the un-cleared bit?

I wouldnt listen to the nonsence written by some on here,notice the lack of links to a successful claim?

• 11 months later...

The people in this post who say that you can be sued for clearing snow from the pavement outside your property if someone falls are not telling the truth. If they are then let's see the legislation. Local Councils encourage people to do this and in Sutton in Surrey they actually provide the salt and grit for members of the public.

It is an urban myth about folks being sued for clearing snow. If you go out in your car you clear snow from where the wheels have passed.

Having said that I know of a farmer in Rotherham who was using his Land Rover with a snow plough fitted in an attempt to help clear the roads. He was stopped by the police and told that he did not have authorisation to do this, and told to clear off home.

It is an urban myth about folks being sued for clearing snow. If you go out in your car you clear snow from where the wheels have passed.

Having said that I know of a farmer in Rotherham who was using his Land Rover with a snow plough fitted in an attempt to help clear the roads. He was stopped by the police and told that he did not have authorisation to do this, and told to clear off home.

Wouldn't it have been ironic had the police car got stuck and they asked for his help? :hihi:

The people in this post who say that you can be sued for clearing snow from the pavement outside your property if someone falls are not telling the truth. If they are then let's see the legislation. Local Councils encourage people to do this and in Sutton in Surrey they actually provide the salt and grit for members of the public.

A very good first post! Most people don't let the truth get in the way when given a chance to abuse lawyers/health and safety, so good work there. You're absolutely right.

People clearing the paths outside their house don't do it with the intent of making it slippery and dangerous. Anyone trying to sue you would have to prove intent.

Intent is criminal. Civil law just requires negligence, and not a specific intent.

Archived