Potted History of Lowedges

Can anybody give me a potted history of Lowedges please. What was it like there 100 years ago? How did it get its name?Any books you can recommend on the history?

I have seen reproductions of OS Maps from about that time covering the area, does anybody know if these are available online?

Any help would be apprciated for a project.

Karl, thank you very much. I have contacted them and it appears they do not actually have what I am looking for.

The person that requires the information lives in Lowedges and is over the age of 80. She wants the information for a project she is working on, and I said I would help, so anymore info greatly appreciated.

• 6 years later...

Hello BoppinBruce.

I have just seen your question.Lowedges is called that because of the old Lowedges Farm.

The remaining part of it being the stone cottage on Chesterfield Road. The row of red brick

cottages were built around 1890 -1910. They were and still are called Low Edges. All this land around here to my knowledge was farm land.

I hope that helps a little.

Respects.

It will be somewhat of a task to find any info relating to the area a 100 years ago.

As a lifetime reader of local history I have seen virtually nothing relative.

As has been said, it was farmed land adjacent to Greenhill Village. The history of the village has been recorded in local history terms and there is a new book about to be published.

I always admire the very large tree stood at the junction of Gervase and Low Edges roads.

That must have been there a 100 years or more. There are also some very large trees on Low Edges Crescent ( Chesterfield Rd Sth end ) they too must be part of the Low Edges history.

Another old local building is Fox Farm on Fox Lane. Fox Lane is a very old highway and is an extension of Beauchief Abbey Lane going towards Dronfield.

Travelling along the Greenhill Parkway towards Bradway, look on the right before reaching the Fire Station, could that hedge stood alone be part of an old field boundary ?

There is a really good book that you might find useful in your research called 'Chantrey Land' by Harold Armitage. The book is about the history of the South Sheffield and North Derbyshire villages and was first published in 1910.

It concentrates on Norton which used to be a Derbyshire village and was where the sculpture Sir Francis Chantry spent his childhood, and deals extensively with the surrounding areas which include Beauchief, Bradway, Greenhill, Jordanthorpe, Meersbrook, Woodseats and Coal Aston.

You should be able to find this book in the local library, if not I have a couple of these books for sale.

Good luck with your research :) xxx

Archived