Are you on Twitter?

I just joined up and don't really get it.

Currently following three friends it found from my MSN (who don't seem to have updated their status in a while), Stephen Fry and BBC News.

Now what do I do?

Me too, though I strongly suspect the guy on Twitter claiming to be Osama Bin Laden may well be a fake. All the same, I've notified the FBI that yesterday he went shopping in Market Harborough and bought a chicken pasty at Greggs.

TwitterFox seconded. I've found Neil Gaiman and Dave Gorman on there now, I really like twitter because its character limit means you can pretty much just get down what you're thinking at that precise moment. It's a nice peep at how people think and what they're up to - if that makes me a stalker, so be it. I like to think I'm just a nosey bugger.

EDIT: example, I'd just signed in to work and booted up the PC, and the following popped up:

neilhimself

out of my hotel window, a tourist: alone and palely littering.

Not sure why I liked it so much, probably just the way it's written but more being shown a snapshot of someone elses life. Kind of like seeing into someone's house from a fast moving train; you get a snapshot of what's happening at that moment and it's nice to think about for a moment or two.

Wow, how introspective. Lol.

I've got Boris Johnson, Alan Carr and Graham Norton on there now. Not much seems to be happening except for Stephen Fry who seems to be a prolific Twitterer! :)

If it catches on it could be a good. Already thinking about signing up my mobile!

Just joined trying to figure it out, any tips?

You can have it scan your email accounts for contacts who might be on Twitter. I skipped that stage, so don't know how successful it is in finding them.

Depending on your tastes, it might take a while to find people to follow if you're not using it as a way to keep up with what friends are up to. A lot of 'names' seem to use it as just another promotional tool - Jimmy Carr's account seems to be run by his PR folk - while others such as Kevin Smith look like they tried it, didn't much like it, and abandoned it. Stephen Fry is an excellent twitterer (tweeter? still haven't got the jargon down). His messages give an insight about his life, but then he's a technology geek and so clearly embraced Twitter early and enthusiastically. I hear Jonathan Ross is similarly entertaining.

Searching Google for people you're interested in (eg 'Wil Wheaton twitter') might turn up their Twitter details, then it's simply a case of clicking 'follow' beneath their avatar.

You can also browse through others' lists of the people they're following. Useful if you have similar interests and tastes.

Posting a message yourself is easy: just type in the box and hit 'update', but remember you're limited to 140 characters per message. You can direct messages at other people by putting '@username' (where 'username' is the person you're sending a message to) before the message, or, if you're replying to a post, by clicking on the arrow which pops up when you hover your mouse over the post.

That's great Hecate thanks, thought i'd follow My Sheffield jobs but quickly realised my updates are being smashed out by them dominating it... Also configured my phone to update, but is it that if you don't use the internet on your mobile and as there's no option for updates straight to your mobile online, that you can only see others' updates by logging on on a computer? I'm baffled but think it's a fun and quirky idea.

:D

Archived