How did your car manage in the snow today?

That said my motorbike is rwd and it was fine

Mine is still garaged. I don't mind riding in cold but the combination of possible ice and the layer of dirt you get on your visor after about 3 seconds of riding takes the fun out of it.

Hopefully another few days and I'll be back on the bike.

How did your car manage in the snow today?

A couple of decades ago snow was common in winter. It hung around for weeks and people were used to driving in snowy conditions. I also think cars were better suited to manage snow.

those rose tinted specs are so fetching on you ;)

tosh I'm afraid

a couple of decades ago, we had to park our car at the bottom of the hill and walk up past the teenagers skiing down the street - not many people had skis then, so it was a vivid memory

there were less parked cars littering the streets, so slithering about all over the place was much less of an issue, you just slid, but didn't hit anything - unlike today

When struggling up an incline, the people behind you were more likely to have the common sense to stay well back, rather than hang around four inches from your boot waiting to put an insurance claim in

We've also had to abandon the car outside my gran's house and walk home in the snow - but people had more sturdy footwear then too - instead of wanting to prance about in ballet pumps on sheet ice (yes, there was some woman on the train the other day in ballet pumps and no socks - in this weather :rolleyes: )

Oh, we all had a decent coat too - one that'd keep you warm and dry

And just because you asked - today... the car slid sideways downhill six inches, so I pulled up and dug the ice out from under it so I could park safely

Mine is still garaged. I don't mind riding in cold but the combination of possible ice and the layer of dirt you get on your visor after about 3 seconds of riding takes the fun out of it.

Hopefully another few days and I'll be back on the bike.

I don't blame you after 3 trecherous miles my hands were in agony. The salt gets absolutely everywhere too, I'll open the garage door to a pile of suzuki dust tonight :hihi:

I am just getting the hang of driving on snow and ice. My 12-year old Rover is doing OK, I've just been taking it really steady, not using the brakes and trying not to rev too much when setting off. I just concentrate on getting the car rolling slowly and hold on to the steering wheel with both hands.

I have learnt from past mistakes (wrote my last car off due to black ice). I'm still nervous, but my confidence is slowly returning.

those rose tinted specs are so fetching on you ;)

tosh I'm afraid

I think it is you that is talking tosh. 20/30 years ago snow conditions were more common than they are today and people coped pretty well. I think because people had more opportunity to drive on snow, they learned to cope with the conditions.

Older cars had more ground clearance and much narrower tyres. As the tyres were required to cope with lower maximum speeds tread patterns were also chunkier than the current tread patterns.

People today are in blind panic because we have a couple of inches of snow. 20 years ago the winter morning ritual was to join the multitudes clearing their drives and digging out their cars before they set off for work.

Archived