How did your car manage in the snow today?

People today are in blind panic because we have a couple of inches of snow. 20 years ago the winter morning ritual was to join the multitudes clearing their drives and digging out their cars before they set off for work.
in 1989? in 1989 car ownership in Sheffield was unbelievably low

I lived on Edmund Road a couple of years later, and the number of cars belonging to residents could be counted on one pair of hands. The only time parking was ever any kind of issue was on match day (obviously)

Over 50% of the population didn't have a car - and two car households were practically unheard of

Like I said - rose tinted glasses - stop moaning and get real (or go clear the snow off the pavement outside your house - like we used to do before all this nonsense about being sued for it)

in 1989? in 1989 car ownership in Sheffield was unbelievably low

I lived on Edmund Road a couple of years later, and the number of cars belonging to residents could be counted on one pair of hands. The only time parking was ever any kind of issue was on match day (obviously)

Over 50% of the population didn't have a car - and two car households were practically unheard of

Like I said - rose tinted glasses - stop moaning and get real (or go clear the snow off the pavement outside your house - like we used to do before all this nonsense about being sued for it)

So if car ownership was so low how do you know what it was like driving then?

Rose tinted glasses. I think you should get off your backside so that your voice isn't muffled.

Incidentally you can't be sued for clearing the snow. That is just a rumour put about to confuse the idiots.

So if car ownership was so low how do you know what it was like driving then?
okay, I give up. You're right - I can only have any idea of how many cars were on the road if I actually owned one, and I can't possibly have ridden in one if every household didn't have one :loopy:

Rose tinted glasses. I think you should get off your backside so that your voice isn't muffled.
take the thread down a level why don't you? ;)

Incidentally you can't be sued for clearing the snow. That is just a rumour put about to confuse the idiots.
I know - that was the point of my suggestion - you seem to be the one who's confused :hihi:

BTW - the winter of '89 was when 25% of our lecture group were missing during the snowy days - when the bus couldn't get up to the halls at Totley, so they were stranded up there

okay, I give up. You're right - I can only have any idea of how many cars were on the road if I actually owned one, and I can't possibly have ridden in one if every household didn't have one :loopy:

BTW - the winter of '89 was when 25% of our lecture group were missing during the snowy days - when the bus couldn't get up to the halls at Totley, so they were stranded up there

I didn't ask about how many cars were on the road. My comment was how would you compare driving 20 years ago with driving now if you weren't driving 20 years ago.:loopy:

There is a major difference between driving a car and travelling to college on a bus!!!

Regarding your comment about being stuck at Totley in 1989. That is a measure of how bad the winter was not how cars coped.

My OH lowered my tyre pressures a little and put a few blocks in the boot. It seems to have done the trick

If its a FWD car blocks in the boot will have the opposite effect, also lowering tyre pressure does next to nowt, all you have to do is drive steady, the snow wasn't bad enough for it to be a major concern(only on side roads).

________

vapor genie

If its a FWD car blocks in the boot will have the opposite effect, also lowering tyre pressure does next to nowt, all you have to do is drive steady, the snow wasn't bad enough for it to be a major concern(only on side roads).

The car is a 2003 Jaguar XKR. I live out of town and have to drive down narrow roads that haven't been salted or ploughed this year. The main problem is lack of ground clearance, apart from that it is OK.

• 1 year later...

Archived