12-14 Park View Road, Hillsborough - 1930's onwards

Harryarwen

Hi all. I am looking for info related to my family tree. Very ironic that whilst I was born in the very late 50's in Keighl;ey, West Yorks and came to Sheffield to Uni in the late 70's and stayed ever since, that my great grandparents and relativrs were from Sheffield and made the move from the steel mills of Sheffield and the Cutler works to the new steel and iron industry of West Yorks.

I have tracked down one realtive though - a Great great Uncle - Joe Nicholson - who had daughters (spinsters - Jenny and ?) - they apprently ran a bakers and confectionary shop at 12-14 Park View Road in Hillsborough. They lived in the old prefab houses in Stannington. Anyone got any memories of this shop at all? Any info much appreciated.

many thanks.

Harryarwen

Harryarwen

Just did a lookup in a Kelly's Directory and I see that in 1957 the residents at the shop at 12/14 Park View Road were Misses Mary E and Jane Nicholson Shopkeepers.

We used to buy wet balme yeast to make ginger beer from this shop when we were kids.

Hope this helps you.

PopT

Harryarwen

Just had a lookup in the Kelly's Directory for 1965 and 12/14 Park View Road had disappeared.

I do know a lot of houses in that area were demolished but I'm not certai which year the shop was demolished.

Hope this is helpful. PopT

Harryarwen

Just had a lookup in the Kelly's Directory for 1965 and 12/14 Park View Road had disappeared.

I do know a lot of houses in that area were demolished but I'm not certai which year the shop was demolished.

Hope this is helpful. PopT

That's brilliant - thank you so much. The nams are spot opn although my Dad called "Jane" Auntie Jenny so clelary some family thing there.

By the way, whats a Kelly's Director, and how do you go about finding it - is it online somewhere?

Thanks a lot.

Archived