Onslow Road and Carrington Road

freebee

whilst doing my family research I found my grandmother lived 1919 and 1920 at 20 onslow road and 20 carrington road sheffield. would any older members of this site know if these addresses used to be pubs, well to do houses, shops etc. I am trying to work out where she may have worked, she used to be a cook in earlier jobs.

• 1 month later...

Hi Freebee

I don't recall any pubs being on Onslow Rd or Carrington Rd when I lived in the area (1950/60's). The nearest watering holes were at Hunters Bar, the Banner Cross Hotel or Highcliffe Hotel (on Greystones Rd). All the houses in the area were all built around 1900/1910 and were terraced with the usual grocers/greengrocers and butchers shops on every corner.

It's more likely she walked across Endcliffe Park to the larger houses on Endcliffe Vale Rd or Riverdale Rd areas to work.

I'd forgotten about Frewell Downing. When I was a child they used to own a bakers shop on the corner of Rustings Rd (by the bus stop). I think it was next door to a chemists -- possibly named Wraggs.

Archived