Anyone use to live around wayland road S11

poppypoppy

Oh..Helooo then :) No 50..now that would have been probably around where the garages were in the corner next to the rear of the church was it.. I think.??? .What do they call you if you dont mind me asking..if you dont want to say on here ..then youre quite welcome to pm me if thats better for you...and also if you went to sunday school..I presume it was the little church on Sharrowvale Road? Then yes youre probably right..we might know each other if not by name then by sight..cos I too went to Sunday School there..!!! Who was it at 51? I've forgotten who it was do you know!!! My aunt and uncle used to live at 53..blimey isnt it a small world...

Wow! you got the location of our house spot on, I loved living on Wayland Road back then.

I've gone back recently to have a look and it seems to be mostly student accomadation now and cars are parked choc-a-bloc on every avilable parking space. It's sad to see:( it like that.

I'll PM you some more details.

I sledged down Wayland Road every winter! Good hill and a right hand turn at the bottom! Lived fairly close. My parents — primarily my mother — were the caretakers at the Bottom snuff mill. She was paid thirty shillings per week and all utilities (gas, leccy, water etc.) were free, as were rent and rates. A really good, reasonably well paid job for a woman.

I sledged down Wayland Road every winter! Good hill and a right hand turn at the bottom! Lived fairly close. My parents — primarily my mother — were the caretakers at the Bottom snuff mill. She was paid thirty shillings per week and all utilities (gas, leccy, water etc.) were free, as were rent and rates. A really good, reasonably well paid job for a woman.

It was a good hill to sledge down, go down on your bike or scooter. I fell off my scooter loads of times on there.

You didn't have to worry about cars coming 'round that blind bend either, there were so few of them and they always seemed to drive slowly.

We'd play football in the road and the only problem was if the ball went too close to a certain house then the occupants would phone the police. Unbelievably the police would often turn up and rollock us.

Archived