Former Yorkshire Water Sports Ground Crookes Road Sheffield

crookes

I've written to Yorkshire Water, but no reply so far. There never seems to be a way to question establishments about the history. If anyone finds an article in a book or on the Net, about the subject, will you please pass it on.

This is part of a chain that starts with the underground reservoir at the top of Lydgate Lane and ends at Crookes Valley, most of which has become redundant as the city has expanded.

It was once an open dam (covered around 1960, I think) and I believe still contains 20,000,000, gallons that it is in use and quite an important distribution centre.

It is not under the actual sports ground , but under the fenced-off section nearest School Road.

As open dams they were very well-kept, especially the one (the name escapes me) opposite the Weston Park Hospital, now a University sports ground, which was very attractive and a geat loss to the area when it was vandalised.

Can't help with the name change yet.

Was the dam where the hockey pitches are on Whitham Road, called the Hatfield Dam?

No, that was Godfrey Dam. Hadfield Dam, is Crookes just before the Grindstone. The new development and a small sports ground known locally as the school for shouting.

Thank you all for chipping in with bits of info. I aim to put a good few photos of Broomhill and Crookes on the Sheffield Forum and it will include what I know of the area during the '60s.

I'm hoping to start a thread where anyone can add to it with what they remember and then start another one with the finished article. I have quite a few photos, but hope to take lots more this year.

...It was once an open dam (covered around 1960, I think) and I believe still contains 20,000,000, gallons that it is in use and quite an important distribution centre.

I just can't remember it being an open dam like the one on Whitham Rd. I lived up Crookes from 1945 to 1973, so I must have seen it like that. Hope to come across an old photo of it some day.

I just can't remember it being an open dam like the one on Whitham Rd. I lived up Crookes from 1945 to 1973, so I must have seen it like that. Hope to come across an old photo of it some day.

I can confirm the two open dams, opting to go upstairs on the tram to see them, but wouldn't be able to put dates on their being filled in.

Archived