What are the main problems with renting?

Sorry to hear about your bad experiences, there are always some people who will give others a bad name. Were you able to collect references from previous landlords at all? Sorry for all the questions, if you'd rather PM me please feel free, you are just the kind of person i'm looking for feedback from. No worries if not, you've been very helpful already :)

The first one was a student, so it wasn't possible to take a reference. I met the mother and they seemed ok. Things went wrong partly because the student wasn't used to looking after a house.

I did take references for the second dog owner, in the light of subsequent experience we assume the landlord was eager to get rid of them as she gave a glowing report which was obviously a lie.

For tenants who cannot give references I now ask for a guarantor and will undertake credit checks. This can be done through the National Landlord Association for £25 to non members. Simply asking for prospective tenant's details to carry out checks seems to sort out those who may not be the ideal tenants. A group of 3 prospective tenants assured me they wanted to move in until I asked for names for the credit check. I didn't hear from them again.

I'm happy to answer any questions, if I can be any help.

Thanks for your feedback, it's much appreciated. Out of interest, what kind of repairs were not carried out?

Intermittent fault on central heating. Landlord actually said you cant have an intermittent fault, its either working or it isnt :loopy:

Also garage roof leaks, rendering falling off, shall I go on?

Your landlord must ensure that the heating is working correctly, when was your last Gas Safety Certificate carried out? If your landlord is refusing to carry out essential repairs then your next stop should be Sheffield City Council Private Rented Standards, see link for details - http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/in-your-area/housing-services/private-sector-housing/private-landlords/contacts. Also see - http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/repairs_and_bad_conditions/repairs_in_private_lets/responsibility_for_repairs for more information on your rights.

There are other aspects too. When you're renting - especially from local authority/housing associations, there is often little choice of where you live, and usually the number of people in a household will be the deciding factor in the size of property. I have little recent experience of private landlords , apart from the fact that they charge more than social landlords, sometimes its justified because of the type and location of their property, sometimes it really isn't!

Now we're nearing full retirement, I'm glad we own our home as we won't have any rent to pay out of our pensions! That is a big plus for many retired people in a similar situation - just over the limit for housing benefit, so rent would be a chunk out of our limited income every month.

Having said that, if we get really elderly and need support, then we'll try and get sheltered accommodation from a housing association. It can be costly, but the proceeds of selling our home will make it affordable.

A big plus for someone losing their job IS to be renting, as there is more financial help for them than for someone where everything else is the same except they have a mortgage.

Hi

Ive been a tennant for 3 years and have had a mixed experience. I find renting from established developers and larger companies more agreeable because more often than not they are more transparent than a landlord/agent setup. For example : our current agreement is with derwent living, they have a very enlighted approach of allowing you to redecorate and change the internal setup of your flat as long as it is returned to good condition when you leave. Knowone from derwent has entered the flat for 3 years, there are no quarterly inspections etc...

Obviously you dont get the personal touch but if you want a home rather than the feeling of living in someone else's house then rent direct from a faceless corporation! :)

Ofcourse the downside is that repairs can be slow but IMO I'd rather wait a while for repairs than have a landlord who sees the house as theirs to enter at will.

my two pence

just out of interest, how many tennants out there get inspected at regular intervals? Maybe its just me but £600-£800 in deposit to cover damages should be enough grace for the agent to leave you alone! I personally dont like the feeling that you are a guest of someone and paying a packet for the privilage. I understand the need to keep the property in good standing but I like to feel I have a home, even if it is rented!

As a tenant, hearing the 'dead money' blurb time and again, from people who (i) necessarily don't know your financial situation (so uninformed opinion) and (ii) don't understand that, so long as you're renting for substantially less than the required mortgage amount would be for the actual place you're in (gotta compare apples with apples), it makes perfect economical sense.

I've been a landlord for over 10 years, a tenant for 5 years or so, and periods of 'joint status' (landlord and tenant at the same time). jdashwood put it best so far IMHO, it's all about good (and thorough) communications.