Big Rise in measles - thanks anti-vaccination activists

Funnily enough, it was once described to me that science/medicine is really assumptions and guesswork based, mostly, on previous history and on the interpretation of studies and facts.

Whenever a drug is administered to an individual for the very first time, it is a 'calculated' risk that there will be no adverse or even life-threatening reaction to the drug.

And, if there happens to be a reaction, although it is highly likely that a further dose of that drug will have the same effect on the same person, it is not guaranteed that it will have the same or even a similar effect on someone else.

However, where there is a sharing of genes, so we are led to believe, the risk of reaction is greatly increased -such, with siblings of the same mother and father.

What annoys me and worries me is that those who condemn the parents who have decided not to vaccinate with MMR see the reason as being simple and, therefore, their solution to that problem is equally as simple.

Until they realise it is not that simple, until they accept the complexities and the different reasons, then they will never really get any nearer to solving the ultimate issue of how to increase the take up rate. And, it has to be said, by their (i.e. the govt) very own statistics, they haven't been very successful with the approach they have adopted thus far.

Absolutely and if my eldest has recated badly to any of his vaccinations, then obviously I wouldn't have had him have any further ones nor would I have had my daughter vaccinated.

resusitating your own child is not fun, no - so if any of the pro MMR want to get in touch with me personally ............

resusitating your own child is not fun, no - so if any of the pro MMR want to get in touch with me personally ............

It must be a terrifying experience, my heart goes out to you.

However, for every parent who will tell you their child had an adverse reaction to a vaccination, you will be able to find a parent whose child had long term health issues/brain damage or possibly died from either mumps or measles. 50 years ago, children still died from whooping cough and polio. Menningitis is still a killer, if a vaccine for the B strain were available, I'd be queuing up for my children to have it.

Just began to read the article in your link, but as soon as I read this..

"The MMR and autism scare, for example, is practically non-existent outside Britain"

I decided for myself that the article is not reliable, or interested in the truth, as only this morning on TV there was a Dr from the US talking about the major decrease in numbers of parents taking up the MMR vaccine in the US because of their belief that it might have links to autism.

It was interesting though that in the US the focus was more on the authorities being able to prove that there were no links, rather than concerned parents having to prove there was! Have you given it a thought that in harrassing concerned parents, perhaps your energies are being directed at the wrong people?

You should read it, it is very insightful. I wasn't meaning to harrass anyone. I'm not judging anyone as I don't have any children, I'm sure my feelings would be much stronger if I did.

I do feel however that this scare has caused huge upset and has been created by the media on the back of very little evidence. The original research was formally retracted by ten of Wakefield's twelve coauthors and correctly run peer reviewed studies since then have shown no link.

It is terrible that people have been forced into the situation by the media where they believe that their actions (giving MMR jab to child) could have caused their child to have autism. That is not something anyone should have to live with.

As far as I remember - it seemed more than media hype at the time. Media hype exists across the board - and will be as much at play in the condeming of parents who decided against MMR, so I don't want to get carrie along with this wave either - I've just dug out an atical I read in 2001:

"Nearly half of all family doctors have reservations about giving children their second dose of the controversial MMR vaccine, according to researchers.

Almost one in five GPs have not read official advice about the combined measles, mumps and rubella jab and 46 per cent said they wanted more information and training.

A third of practice nurses said they thought the jab was "very likely or possibly" associated with Crohn's disease and 27 per cent thought it was linked to autism.

The study in the British Medical Journal follows a warning from Government experts that the country is at risk of a potentially fatal outbreak of measles because immunization levels have dropped dramatically.

Children are a given a first dose of the MMR jab at 12 to 15 months and a second, booster dose at between three and five years old.

Researchers questioned 140 health visitors, 204 practice nurses and 165 GPs in North Wales about their attitudes towards the vaccine.

Four out of ten GPs, 49 per cent of health visitors and 54 per cent of practice nurses (48 per cent overall) had reservations about the jab.

They found that 17 per cent of GPs said they had not read the information on measles, mumps and rubella contained in the doctors' bible Immunisation Against Infectious Diseases.

Nearly half (46 per cent) said they would have liked more information and training on the MMR vaccine.

And only 46 per cent felt confident about explaining the need for the second dose to parents.

Adverse Drug Reactions, November 2000; Volume 19, Issue 4 and The Sunday Herald (London), December 10 and 17, 2000"

There was alot of uncertainty around. I don't know what I would have decided, if I needed to make this choice.

• 1 year later...

Well Andrew Wakefield has been struck off now - read the judgement:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/25983372/FACTS-WWSM-280110-Final-Complete-Corrected

Whole story - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8695267.stm

The doctor who first suggested a link between MMR vaccinations and autism is to be struck off the medical register.

The General Medical Council found Dr Andrew Wakefield guilty of serious professional misconduct over the way he carried out his controversial research.

It follows a GMC ruling earlier this year that he had acted unethically.

Dr Wakefield, who is now based in the US, has consistently claimed the allegations are unfair. He now says he will appeal against the verdict.

His 1998 Lancet study caused vaccination rates to plummet, resulting in a rise in measles - but the findings were later discredited.

A conman being paid to produce biassed results that illegally did invasive experiments on children should have been struck off years ago.

http://www.badscience.net/2010/01/the-wakefield-mmr-verdict/

http://www.badscience.net/2008/08/the-medias-mmr-hoax/

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/health/article1027636.ece

The real story however is on the way the media have and continue to report the story and findings as if he has any credibility or that there are doubts about MMR. It raises important questions about who's interests the editorial policies of the media serve..... because it certainly isn't ours.

Here is PZ Myers explaining how the recent research shows that Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) has a multiple of different genetic causes.

There is no single cause of ASD, and it definitely isn't vaccines.

This should give reassurance to those parents with autistic kids, who might be concerned that they contributed to it by taking them to get vaccinated. Somehow I doubt it.

• 10 months later...

Yet again, the incidence of measles is on the increase.

Medical experts are predicting that the incidence may well reach epidemic levels.

Parents wh don't allow their children to be vaccinated against the disease are being blamed for the increase.

Discuss.

Archived