Nice restaurant in city centre where we can spend the WHOLE evening?

luciec

Does anyone know of a decent restaurant where we wont be ushered out within the hour? This has happened the past two times we have been out to eat out in Sheffield and it has felt such a waste of time and money bothering to even go out in the first place, it's very disappointing when you have been looking forward to go out all day, as I'm sure many of you can understand :(.

Last night we went to Piccolinos, we got there at 8.15 and left after two courses at 9.05pm, everything felt so rushed and unrelaxed. Granted it is a chain and I understand this, but when paying £80 for 2 we expect to at least be able to relax and enjoy ourselves and each others company.

I'd be grateful if anyone could suggest any restaurant in the city centre or close by, independently owned preferably (as chains always seem to want to get couples in and out asap) where you can spend at least a couple of hours just relaxing and don't have your main course forced on you before the starter plates have even been cleared.

Thanks in advance :)

P.S. Anywhere but Silversmiths, although when we went there it is probably the best meal I have had in a long while and I thoroughly enjoyed the evening, we were only there for around 3 hours because service was slow, and the waitress kept apologising or this. It was ideal for us though!! And the menu isn't as extensive as we would like, want to try some new places too :)

I think the trick is to go to a place thats biggish in terms of tables and not busy in the first place - I know you said you don't want a chain but we have never felt rushed in Cafe Rouge Peace Gardens - I have spent 3 hours in there I'm sure chatting :-)

Ooo yes, thanks, have been to the one on Ecclesall Road before and we didn't feel rushed, forgot about the one at Peace Gardens!

Try to book a table later on in the evening. It depends on what day it is as well. Or specifically ask if they can accomodate that on the night. I also like to dine and chat too for like 2-3 hours. The ones that I have found to be okay this way, is Cubana, Nonnas (?), Cafe Rouge... there's quite a few which I forget the name of. Oh, also B&B's.

Or you can go somewhere like Leopold Sq, whereby you eat in one of the restaurant, but then use the bar or cafe in the Leopold Hotel for your drinks.

I eat out quite a lot and I've never felt like I'm being hurried, so I must be going to the right places! I do tend to avoid very large or chain restaurants though so maybe that's it.

My favourite places in/near the centre are Piccolo's on West Street (Italian), Baan Thai/Thai Punna/Thai Inter Siam for really good Thai food, East Ocean (Matilda Street, just off the Moor) or Tokyou for Japanese (across from Castle Square tram stop), Wong Ting or Mei's for Chinese.

Out of the centre, La Scala in Millhouses and Vito's in Walkley are good Italian places, Rowsha in Walkley and Shiraz on Abbeydale Road do great middle eastern food, Hei Moon in Hillsborough is fantastic for Chinese and Kashmir Curry House on Spital Hill is my favourite for Indian.

Enjoy finding somewhere you like!

Archived