I dont like Indian food unless it is shared!

grub_lover

Am i the only one who thinks this?

When i go to an Indian restaurant i will usually love the experience but only when i am able to have numerous dishes?

I dont mean like tapas, i mean like 4 people order 4 mains and we all try and share. I thinks its the idea of trying a dish that another person thinks is the best choice then to compare.

I went with a friend from work and we ordered to main courses. When they arrived he didnt want to share or even let me try so i had to stick with what i ordered. It was nice but not the same.

If i eat chinese i have similar views but not as fussed about it. But then with English food i would never share my stake so why is it different? :loopy:

Am i the only one who thinks this?

When I go to an Indian restaurant i will usually love the experience but only when i am able to have numerous dishes? :loopy:

I don't mind mixing things with my partner as we have similar tastes in curries. I'm happy for mates to have a mouthful to see if they like it but I know exactly what I do like and am quite protective over my indian food :lol: I'm more likely to offer to share foods that I've not tried before so maybe I'm just selfish. :lol:

I like hot lamb ginger based curries and the people that generally want to swop always seem to choose the korma/tikka/cream types which I'd rather not eat and they normally hate my choice, so one mouthful is normally enough for them anyway

I love all Indian food, there is not a dish i have not liked. I never get the Kormas and usually ask for a recommendation for anything spicy. I think that the opinion on sharing is not just to taste different dishes it is just everyone talking about each others meal as well.

It depends on how you were brought up. In some cultures, you are supposed to share the food in a communal way, and not have your own meal and everything on the same plate.

Then again, if you were brought up to have a 3 course meal, then you may treat it the same way too.

That is why I also like places like this:

Le Pain Quotidien - St Pancras.

Sometimes I get told off for asking for a sip to try someone's beer. :hihi:

Other times, friends will pour it into another glass for me to taste the difference.

I was brought up to share but what i dont understand is why i will not enjoy an Indian meal if i dont share? if i have any other style of food i do not feel the same and will be content with what i have ordered and will still enjoy a meal.

I have a large Japanese influence in my family so maybe thats what it is. For example my wife makes me bento boxes everday for work, which means i get a great veriety even in a simple lunch. But it still does not explain why it is just with Indian food.

I think with some food, you do have a small portion of that something, and so it covers all food groups.

I like Indian food too, and I also like to try the different curries. I'm not sure if Indian food is supposed to be similar to chinese food, whereby you have communal main dishes in the centre, and you all take a small portion of this onto your own plate for consumption. I will ask my colleague about that one when I go back to work tomorrow.

Sometimes because of this mentality, I don't even go out with people who don't share their food! :hihi: Well, I do try to share where we can as well. Then again, I remember I used to hate people sharing, but get all the best bits and not eat the bad ones etc. So I also do not like going to eat with people who are way too picky. lol. Even with dim sum, you ask each other what you like best or not, and then try and not waste food as a group.

Then again, I remember I used to hate people sharing, but get all the best bits and not eat the bad ones etc. So I also do not like going to eat with people who are way too picky. lol. Even with dim sum, you ask each other what you like best or not, and then try and not waste food as a group.

I think I know a lot of picky people! I love sharing tapas and I think most people quite like sharing this with me as I do not eat fish or shell fish so they get all the fishy stuff and I'm quite happy eating whatever is leftover though last time I was too polite and went home still hungry which is my own fault :lol:

I do not mind mixing chinese; it seems to taste ok mixed where indian is just horrid when mixed together with tomato/ cream based dishes :gag: though I like lime pickle and mango chutney together :love:

I think I know a lot of picky people! I love sharing tapas and I think most people quite like sharing this with me as I do not eat fish or shell fish so they get all the fishy stuff and I'm quite happy eating whatever is leftover though last time I was too polite and went home still hungry which is my own fault :lol:

I do not mind mixing chinese; it seems to taste ok mixed where indian is just horrid when mixed together with tomato/ cream based dishes :gag: though I like lime pickle and mango chutney together :love:

I don't mind if the other party loves the actual dish, but I have discovered that I don't like eating with new people I do not know, and is choosy, and then when they don't like something, they shove it to my plate, or bowl. :o

Sometimes I start to shove back now..."oh no, no, you look more hungry". :hihi: My sister used to be like this too. Now, we don't order what we don't like. So it means we clean up everything we order. I like that. :)

I like sharing too. I went to Cubana a couple of weeks back and we all shared, and I know that you will get some tings that you like more, but when its friends, you kind of don't mind it as much, and you wanna see them enjoy themselves as well. I guess it is strange with strangers, or new people that you eat with.

I don't mind eating chinese with mixed food, but I don't have the same things. I have a little bit from every thing. i.e. bit of meat, bit of veg, and not all veg, or just meat. :gag:

I like the concept of Thalis as well. I think in Birmingham, the Wetherspoons did this on a Thursday as their curry day. I don't know why this is not served in Sheffield's Wetherspoon either.

When I eat with Muslim friends, bowls are put out, chappatis are handed out and we all dig in around the table - I think it's just part the culture that goes with the food.

Mexican is similar - we get a load of dishes and put what we like in a tortilla.

Perhaps the English buffet is the closest you'll get to the Indian experience...?

Archived