Sheffield shopping festival

Angela P

Does anyone remember a Sheffield shopping festival in the early sixties in which prizes were hidden in shop window displays,the idea being to encourage passers-by to stop and look in the windows?

I was a junior assistant at Atkinson's at the time and I remember that it was great fun.Sadly,it was never repeated.

Yes I remember this. My Mother won a record from a record shop that I thought was on the Wicker but I now think may have been in the shops that were below Royal Exchange Buildings on Lady's Bridge. I also thought the record she won was Bobby Darrin's Mack the Knife which would make it 1959 or possibly 1960 but then I thought again and I now think it might have been Bobby Vee's 'Night has a 1000 eyes' that would make it 1963. So to answer a question with a question. Can anyone remember a record shop on or near the Wicker in the late 50's early 60's (it was there before 1963) I've asked my Mother but she was about as much use as I am.

Yes I remember this. My Mother won a record from a record shop that I thought was on the Wicker but I now think may have been in the shops that were below Royal Exchange Buildings on Lady's Bridge. I also thought the record she won was Bobby Darrin's Mack the Knife which would make it 1959 or possibly 1960 but then I thought again and I now think it might have been Bobby Vee's 'Night has a 1000 eyes' that would make it 1963. So to answer a question with a question. Can anyone remember a record shop on or near the Wicker in the late 50's early 60's (it was there before 1963) I've asked my Mother but she was about as much use as I am.

I'm pretty sure that the year was 1961 as I was 16 though I could be wrong it is a long time ago after all! Sorry,but I can't remember a record shop on or near the Wicker.

1961 seems to stick in my mind also now you mention it cus I would be 9. I know the prize was a 45rpm record and I was so sure the shop was on or near the wicker. Anyone shops below Royal Exchange Buildings overlooking Lady's Bridge in 1961?

Now here's another one for you. Do you remember the milk roadshow they used to have on the bombsites on the Moor. I don't remember much but I do remember the gaps at the bottom of the Moor before they built the shops around Cumberland Street. Now that must have been very early 60's and they used to have displays and exhibitions there.

1961 seems to stick in my mind also now you mention it cus I would be 9. I know the prize was a 45rpm record and I was so sure the shop was on or near the wicker. Anyone shops below Royal Exchange Buildings overlooking Lady's Bridge in 1961?

Now here's another one for you. Do you remember the milk roadshow they used to have on the bombsites on the Moor. I don't remember much but I do remember the gaps at the bottom of the Moor before they built the shops around Cumberland Street. Now that must have been very early 60's and they used to have displays and exhibitions there.

You have got a better memory than me,I don't remember the milk roadshow,but maybe now there are bombsites at the bottom of the Moor again they will have it again lol.

Archived