Maisie's - Children's clothes

CHAIRBOY

In an exchange with my cousin yesterday, she mentioned Whitsuntide clothes being bought at Maisie's on Orchard Street. You'd have to be from the 50's but can anyone else remember this children's outfitter? I am sure it dates back to when Davy's Cafe was on Fargate.

Maisie's had a shop on Cumberland Street during the 1950's/60's, all my Whitsuntide clothing came form there right down to the white ankle socks!

Duffems

That would be the one All those years back and she's been left Sheffield long ago, so I'll excuse her! She said she looked more like a "fairy from a Christmas tree" in one of the outfits bought for her. Sounds as though it was the "in-place" for Whitsun gear? Thank goodness that 'begging bowl' has ceased!

Maisie's had a shop on Cumberland Street during the 1950's/60's, all my Whitsuntide clothing came form there right down to the white ankle socks!

Duffems

yep all my whitsun clothes came fom maisies, paid for with cheques from the cheque man and paid for weekly.

one year my sister and me were dressed in scotch plaid kilts with sporran frilly blouses and little caps i was about 2yrs and my sister was 7yrs i still have the pictures to this day:hihi:

• 1 month later...

looking at the threads this caught my eye as i always remember maisies shop from an early age in the 1940s their shop(s) were on broomhall street they had the main shop and another one just for its window show. if you stood looking in their window then turned around 180 degrees you would be looking at springfield school , this was before their shop in cumberland street. i remember my uncle being demobed in 1945/6 taking my cousin and me for a present as he had been away in the war for five years he bought elaine a dress from maisies on broomhall street and me a plane and a vice. their shops were just around the top of thomas street there was a chemists in between and at the back of the shops in the yard lived a family called axe i think the daughter was called shirley the son graham was a seaman

My mum, being widowed, couldn't afford Maisie's prices, so she used to go and look in the window, scrutinising the clothes, then make (knitting and sewing) the outfits herself for my sister and I. I can still remember those outfits in detail, particularly the little boleros, one was of blue angora, another a very pretty yellow with a delicate pattern.

Archived