T-Rex in Clifton Park (Rotherham) 28th August 1971

paranoid

What a load of garbage;

In September 1971, T. Rex released their second album Electric Warrior, which featured Currie and Legend. Often considered to be their best album, the chart-topping Electric Warrior brought much commercial success to the group; publicist BP Fallon coined the term "T. Rextasy" as a parallel to Beatlemania to describe the group's popularity. The album included T. Rex's best-known song, "Get It On", which hit number one in the UK. In January 1972 it became a top ten hit in the US, where the song was retitled "Bang a Gong (Get It On)" to distinguish it from a 1971 song by the group Chase. Along with David Bowie's early hits, "Get It On" was among the few British glam rock songs that were successful in the US.[9] However, the album still recalled Bolan's acoustic roots with ballads such as "Cosmic Dancer" and the stark "Girl". Soon after, Bolan left Fly Records; after his contract had lapsed, the label released the album track "Jeepster" as a single without his permission. Bolan went to EMI, where he was given his own record label in the UK—T. Rex Records, the "T. Rex Wax Co.".

Comparing Bolan to the Beatles is like comparing a gnat to an elephant, he was a simpering, untalented, painted effected plonker, who could strum rather than play his instrument.

Before his death he was washed up, think Adam Ant, but not as funny.

Comparing Bolan to the Beatles is like comparing a gnat to an elephant, he was a simpering, untalented, painted effected plonker, who could strum rather than play his instrument.

Before his death he was washed up, think Adam Ant, but not as funny.

T Rex were not compared to the Beatles........the term T Rextasy was used as a comparison to the term Beatlemania...........comparing the 2 different terms is not the same as comparing the 2 different acts,but your agenda is clear,so much so that it led you to write the nonsense that you did previously.

To be fair to him he came up with about half a dozen great singles (Jeepster, Ride A White Swan, Children of the Revolution, Deborah, etc) and 2 good LPs (Electric Warrior and The Slider) before he burned out. He did though write some of the naffest lyrics ever till Oasis formed and made him sound like Dylan.

I was there,as I remember it Arthur brown was fantastic and t rex were poor and they were booed by many of the crowd.

thankyou, your recollection mirrors mine. The only thing bolan did to enhance his rep was to die young, had he lived he would be completely forgotten. A nonentity.

• 2 weeks later...

I was in C.I.D. when T. Rex came to town. My D.I. instructed a couple of us to go and keep an eye on things, he said there was a band called 'TREX' after the lard, there in Clifton Park. It was a convivial show, no problems, but I was not into pop music and so didn't appreciate it. A pleasant afternoon nevertheless.

Personally I don't remember T.Rex in clifton Park but to say they were washed up by the summer of 71 is ridiculas, they were just getting started.

Arthur Brown had by then been around a good few years and so had Marmalade.

I agree though before his Death in 77 he was washed up but most of the Glam bands were to Slade, Sweet, Wizzard, Glitter I could go on were all about to disapeare.

So was I, the crowd was poor 60% if that of what was expected. Mark Bolan was totally disinterested and they had peaked and were on the way down to anonymity, if he had lived, he would be in the same frame as Billy J Kramer, The Troggs, etc etc, several hit wonders. He would be flogging himself round doing 70s revival gigs. Over rated.

rubbish! several hit wonder?. marc bolan had 24 hit singles! had just done a sold out tour months earlier just finished his own tv show and was negotiating for a further series when he died . his estate still makes £250.000 pounds a year in royalties. ignorant of the facts as you are , take it you were an osmonds fan then

Archived