Old Fairgrounds and Circuses

Where my parents lived just off shiregreen lane there used to be a fair behind the house on the land which is now where maplecroft rd and the small surrounding estate was built.Mind you i am going back a good few years.

I was born near the bottom of Craven Road in Darnall. Some of my earliest memories are walking around the fairground as they were setting it up. It used to be an annual event on the spare ground right at the bottom of the road.

My mum told me about some gypsy woman who used our front room once for her fortune telling. I can still smell the deisel fumes from the generators used to power dodgems etc. That was before I started school (Whitby Road Infants)

oh yes i love fairs endcliffe was i local milhouses used to have a massive fair the bonfire fairs spread around in every park in the city speaking of which endcliffe is next week firth park this week then its eckington and theres a full scale scale for high green on 4th and 5th of july.

I remember going to see the circus lions and tigers in their cages sometime around 1950; I was only 5 at the time and don't think we could afford to go to the circus.

I also remember going to the Star Gala which was on the Farm Grounds - this fair covered a really big area, I think the Star Gala then moved to Ecclesfield Park but I'm not sure of the year.

I also remember the smaller fair at Ecclesfield on the spare ground just behind the chippy. I really loved going to fairs when I was a teenager - my favourite was the Waltzer - lots of girls, lots of music. The favourite was to spot a girl you liked and jump into the same car - after a few spins around you could become quite friendly:)

A circus came to Oakes park at Norton the only reason I remember it was because I woke up one morning looked out of my bedroom window into a courtyard. Nothing odd so far apart from the elephants stood drinking out of the horse trough.

Yes i remember that aswell.