Anyone remember Helen Road in Darnall?

tasha_78

the milk man with the horse is alive & kicking, his name is fred he lived on industry road,(well into his 80's now) shows that hard work dont kill you, out in all weather & lifting those heavy crates. there was two great chippies one at the bottom of industry road, that lady took over the chippie opposite the duke of york, the other was opposite the rec. When i first lived down greenland road there was no bus depot (that was knocked down for B&Q)

Fred is a friend of mine....not only did he deliver the milk but also had a second job of window cleaning so yes, it does show that hard work is OK for you. All his family are friends of my family. I lived on Industry Road and our long garden ended on Helen Road. When I was researching my family tree I found out that my great grandparents and siblings lived on Helen Road. Made me feel a little strange to think that years before my ancestors were walking the same streets as I did years later......

• 8 years later...

I know it's an old post, but just came across it while searching for Helen Road

my dad was born and lived at number 25, he would have been there till the mid 1940's till he was conscripted into the army

anyone with anymore info? :)

On 07/09/2011 at 22:24, 2ndhandrose said:

Here is a picture of the Horse and dray on Coleford Road, my house in the background on Industry Road.

I knew the Milkman as Roy and I always thought the horse was Peter, don’t know if he ever changed it.

We used to hang off the back of the dray on our roller skates, till one day he must have finished his round and set off down Coleridge Road at full trot. I nearly kakked myself, especially on the cobbles. Didn't do It again.  

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;v04498&pos=4&action=zoom&id=100960

On 07/09/2011 at 22:24, 2ndhandrose said:

Could it have been Roy?

Just come across this thread.

I lived at number 68 Helen Road  from about 1960 - 68.

Remember Ted Firths Shop on one corner and Mr Hollands on the other corner.

Used to get my hair cut at R on Garlicks and remember a fishing tackle shop on Greenland Road Joe Taylor

In our yard I remember the Robinsons Browns Swifts and Mrs Nixon down the bottom , Over the wall on Greenland Road was the Pratt Family Richard (who wanted to play for Chelsea)  Wendy ( Very Pretty Girl ) and Roy who was very sadly killed in an acciddent with a car.

O ver on the army camp was the Howard Family Peter and he had about 3 sisters they moved up to Parson Cross when we moved to Shiregreen

Remember the play gound and good chippie on Surrey Road.

Other names I remember  were the Hargreaves Family Mick Brown Mick Skelton Eddie and Jackie Grimes. 

Also a misfit kind of guy  Mick Omalley ? on our road who set his house on fire

Edited by Tigerfan
grammar