The best school dinner ever 1978

craig12

School cheese pie, with the bits of onion in, was indeed legendary, although any of you who frequented GG's may remember Irene's cheese flan/pie, that was pretty good to.

The pink custard was probably invented in order to 'tame' the flap-jack. Because if you were stupid enough to have school flap-jack without some sort of bonding agent, IE the pink custard, as soon as you even approached it with a spoon it would shatter into a thousand pieces and disperse itself all over your mates.

On the subject on 'things-of-old'. How many of you sat on the last bus out of Pond Street, 11:30 I think, watching that pink neon sign up on the gallery outside 'The Cinecenta' spiralling round and round, waiting for the inspectors whistle to signal the start of the bus race.

Oh Happy Days

Chris

Sago! not the minute sago balls you get in tins now, but the real McCoy they served us at skoyal in the fifties, yer proper frog spawn, delicious! but the best sago ever is what they served in the Siemans Canteen, English Steel Corporation, Brightside Lane, in the early sixties the balls were as big as marbles it was superb, wish I could taste the like now.

to sum my memories up they would be, and sorry for the length of it but if it brings a smile to your face then ive done a job,,, bendi busses, subsidised bus fares, the fiesta club, pond st cyril/nora/ the classic cinema/ guemont/ studio/5/6/7/ cockaynes, harringtons in castle market, sheffields illuminations, the egg box council offices, hole in the road, the wedding cake, lord mayors parade, radio hallam, help a hallam child, hallam tower hotel, grovesnor hotel, royal victoria hotel, s.u.t.tours, wigfalls, cavendish woodhouse, ray allen, pippys, violet mays, wopentek, josephines, maxamillions, roger sherwoods, blue bell , the marples, mucky duck, vallances, craisy, daisy, complete angler, mulberry tavern, classic cinema, houghenbraugh beer keller, gossips,

Craig - do I know you:hihi: Your memories are very similar to mine:D

• 1 month later...

yummy yummy cheeeeeeeeeeeeeese pie chips and beans. also for pudding it was like a hard choc wagon wheel thing wi custard. the dinner lady that made it left my primary school the year we did and low and behold i walked into westfield on my 1st day and there she was. and so was the CHEESE PIE.

• 3 months later...
well there was the school dinners that you remember, in 1978, semolina with jam, sponge pudding and custard, maybe red sponge with icing, chocolate sponge with chocolate custard, BUT THIS IS THE DADDY OF THEM ALL

chips , beans, maybe tomatoes, and .........................CHEESE PIE............

now were not talkin your average cheese pie here, oh no, it looked like a flan, and the cheese was so strong, i can taste it now, beaver hill 1978, this was school dinner heaven , ive never tasted anything to this day as good or as nice, you normally had 2nds ,

hiya i have the recipe HA HA do you want it .....mmmmmmmm

There is a book called School Dinners, I bought it recently on Amazon. It has all the favourites in, especially cheese pie.

bought the book myself from w.h.smiths all the school dinner recipes are in.

Wow chips and beans for school dinners. When I was eating junior school dinners in the 1960's it was always fresh vege, carrots, peas, cabbage and a million and one ways with boiled potatoes. My favourite dinners were meat and potato pie and stew and dumplings. My favourite pudding jam sponge and custard. Mmmmmmmm.

Archived