Old school headmasters & their nicknames

mh01

Thank you very much for the photo. I am going to try and send it to his daughter. Living on Low Road, you will remember The Howcrofts at the Off License on the corner and maybe the Loosemoors at the Off License further down Stannington Road. Arnold and Audrey Loosemoor were also my relations and my mum used to help them in the shop on occasions

Regards

Geoff

Hi Geoff - glad to know that we are referring to the same Frank Brooham. I was never taught by him (I had Mrs Potter in J1/J2 and Lewis Hawley in J3/J4) but everyone spoke very highly of him. I don't recall your parents but (having been born on Low Road) I knew a number of people in the area apart from old school friends. Here is a Malin Bridge Junior staff photo of c. 1955 http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u219/twigmore/MalinBridgeTeachersc1955.jpg On the front row, left to right, are Mrs Dean, Miss Winkworth, Lewis Hawley, Frank Courage (headteacher), Mrs Thorpe, Frank Brooham and Mrs Potter. Back row: Mr Martin, (?), Stella Preece, (?), Mr Binney.

Hi Hillsbro

I passed your info to Frank's daughter. She is delighted and didn't know about the Forum -- She does now.

Geoff

Hi Hillsbro

I passed your info to Frank's daughter. She is delighted and didn't know about the Forum -- She does now.

Geoff

Glad to hear that Frank’s daughter is so pleased. I’ve been trying to remember if the headteacher of Malin Bridge Junior, Frank Courage, had a nickname - I seem to recall that he was known as "Pop" but really, nicknames for teachers were more common in secondary schools. The surnames Courage and Brooham are both quite rare; Courage is a Dorset/Hampshire name - Frank Courage was born in Weymouth in 1903.

Mr Edwards the headmaster of Owler Lane intermediate and later Hinde House comprehensive was known as Jim by those of us who knew and didn't love him.The nickname came from the comedian Jimmy Edwards but it didn't seem to stick beyond the sixties.His later pupils had more interesting names for him.Read the thread 'Mr Edwards,headmaster of Hinde House.

I went to Hatfield House round about the same time as you guys but my late husband went to Hartley Brook and used to tell me about Pop Allen and others. My husband used to be good at athletics I think - his name was Barrie Wilson, anyone remember him? When we were kids we went to Huntsmans Gardens and lived on Titterton Street.