Amateur Boxing in 1920's

Philippa82

Hello, I'm trying to find out about my grandfather, Fred Ashley(born Sheffield 1902), I have a photo taken in the 1920's of him standing in front of trouphies which he had won as an amateur boxer. I was told that there was a pub which had these trouphies on display. Please does anyone know of him, the pub, or boxing in general. I know that he knew the owner of Tennants Brewery through his army work so it may be a Tennants pub. I've also found out that many sporting events did take place in pubs but don't know much about it so any info would be great. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

hi. my father in law,Reg Lindley, used to box in sheffield. mostly with Hillsboro. boys club in the mid 20's. Ive heard him speak of a pub called

Harvey Floods. I believe it was in Fitzwilliam st.

Hope this is of some help.

hi. my father in law,Reg Lindley, used to box in sheffield. mostly with Hillsboro. boys club in the mid 20's. Ive heard him speak of a pub called

Harvey Floods. I believe it was in Fitzwilliam st.

Hope this is of some help.

George Harvey

Flood was a beer retailer 12/14 Fitzwilliam St in 1927.

'The Raven' was located opposite the end of Division Street. I believe it later became 'The Hornblower' although it was still known locally as 'Flood's'. Sadly the building was demolished a number of years ago to make way for a retail development.

Archived