Bendi busses and quirky busses

craig12

does anyone remember the bendi busses? i remember as well the first vanhool busses on the streets of sheffield , they were like nothing else, theyre sort of whistled from the engine compared to the old daimler busses, i can remember busses in the 70s had a gearbox on the drivers l/h/s which was like a ferrari gearbox all six gears in a small space, amazing...like a letter H gearbox

if i remember right, sheffield bendy buses were all leylands with van-hool bodywork i cant remember how many there was but they were all on the c-plate with the first having the reg c101hdt or c101 cdt the rest followed in number ie: c102 cdt

• 2 years later...

None of Sheffield Bendi-buses had Van Hool bodywork. Some were Leyland with Leyland bodies., others were M.A.N, with Gopel bodywork. The second batch of Bendi,s were all Leyland/DAB. The Van Hools you refer to were the Volvo Ailsa,s which didn't half wistle around the streets.

Archived