Your Memories of Abbeydale Picture House

Lirael

Thanks again for all your responses so far, there is a lot we did not know. Angelamary would you be able to private message me as I am interested to hear more information about your memories of the Abbeydale?

Thanks.

Hey Lirael

You didn't say what you were studying? I am offering some help, I am currently studying photography at Norton College and would be interested in taking some photographs of Abbeydale Picture House. Would you be willing for me to do that if they were to be used for the booklet?

I remember both the picture house and the Court School of Dancing. Great fun and fond memories. Did a lot of our "Courting" around there. In fact my ex was once crowned Miss Court Sheffield. Had a great trip to London for the finals. Anyone remember the trip...There was a bus full of us.

Lived in Heeley in the fifties the Heeley green, Abbeydale, Heeley palace and the Heeley coliseum were my local cinemas..

The pictures were still king then and they used to change films twice a week ..

Spent many happy hours watching the silver screen, once went 7 times in one week but twice was the norm..

Always seemed strange when you went to the Empire the cheap seats were at the back, go to the cinemas they were at the front obvious really but felt weired...

Can you recall any of the films grinder? We were having a think last night and decided we must have spent too much time "courting" on the back seats rather than watching the films as neither of us could remember anything other than The Student Prince...why that film I wonder as we've no idea! Abbeydale was definitely the best cinema, further to walk from where we lived but, it had the added bonus of going to Pops on the way back then a dark walk down, was it Primrose Hill onto Broadfield Road?

I can remember one I was too young to see, House of wax, a Vincent Price Horror film In three D,

Three men in a boat.

In those days you could smoke but we couldn't for Laughing all the way through it.

Laurence Harvey, David Tomlinson, Jimmy Edwards.... Hilarious..

Some one has all ready mentioned Fess Parkers visit, so I must have seen Davey Crockett there..

Archived