Your Memories of Abbeydale Picture House

Lirael

You're welcome Grinder. I also have fond memories of the picture houses...as a kid the Paragon at Firth Park was my local but when we were courting the Abbeydale became a place for a little peace and a way to get out of the cold LOL. Maybe a little after your time but I remember them running a series of Bond films with Eastwood films as secondary. And of course Yes...I saw the Student Princs a few time in there. Great to think back to those days huh?

God the Paragon, where did they get the names from..

Most of my relations lived that side of town,what was the one at Sheffield lane top called .. remember going to the Forum on the Parsons Cross to see The Cardboard Cavalier Sid Fields and was the other one over there the Rex.....

• 3 weeks later...
God the Paragon, where did they get the names from..

Most of my relations lived that side of town,what was the one at Sheffield lane top called .. remember going to the Forum on the Parsons Cross to see The Cardboard Cavalier Sid Fields and was the other one over there the Rex.....

The one at Lane Top started life as The Capitol, in 1939 - later becoming Essoldo, then finally The Vogue. It closed as a cinema in 1975.

I used to go to the Abbeydale during WW2 and after I can remember seeing Carosel there and Annie Get Your Gun, State Fair. The ballroom we attended on Saturday night having first visited the pub opposite towards millhouses on the corner. We sang Al Jolson songs to a lad playing the piano, big room and packed solid. The cinema at Heeley by the railway bridge was the one my brother and I were in during the blitz, it was a Mickey Rooney film and we stayed the night under the railway arches which had been converted to an air raid shelter.

• 1 month later...

Worked for a company called 'drakes office equipment' in late 70's

they bought abbedale cinema building when it closed and used it as office furniture showrooms.i was a typewriter mechanic and our workshop was the old changing rooms behind the stage.

I remember ripping out the old seats and selling them to a guy from leicster.

We also slept one night to show there was no ghost,this was covered by sheffield star.

Archived