Lodgemoor Hospital - polio treatment centre?

On 12/02/2019 at 00:35, PEAKUNDER said:

I was in LMH 1966/67 for 15 months, as I  had dived in the sea and broken my kneck. I was one of the first patients to be helicoptered in (a yellow RAF Westland Whirlwind) I discovered the Ward with iron lungs on it, by chance when I was able to wheel around the hospital freely, and became friends with Dennis. On the South Ward I was in, Mr Crownshaw, was our Charge Nurse, Dr Hardy was 'top bod'. According to his deputy, I should have died years ago, thankfully he was wrong. I could not have wished for a better hospital, and staff. I went to the closing 'ceremony' of it. Believe it or not, I am still in touch with my original physiotherapist, and another member of staff, who helped get me through such a traumatic time in my young life.

How old were you when you had your accident , if you don’t mind me asking .

• 8 months later...
  • 7 months later...
On 12/02/2019 at 00:35, PEAKUNDER said:

I was in LMH 1966/67 for 15 months, as I  had dived in the sea and broken my kneck. I was one of the first patients to be helicoptered in (a yellow RAF Westland Whirlwind) I discovered the Ward with iron lungs on it, by chance when I was able to wheel around the hospital freely, and became friends with Dennis. On the South Ward I was in, Mr Crownshaw, was our Charge Nurse, Dr Hardy was 'top bod'. According to his deputy, I should have died years ago, thankfully he was wrong. I could not have wished for a better hospital, and staff. I went to the closing 'ceremony' of it. Believe it or not, I am still in touch with my original physiotherapist, and another member of staff, who helped get me through such a traumatic time in my young life.

My dad was in the South wards on and off from 1964ish until December 1978. I remember Dr Hardy vaguely but dad often talked of him. There was a lot of trauma and a lot of fun with the nurses. They have him and 5years to live but he lived 14. He has been in Derby before lodge moor. It was lovely reading the words of someone else who was there.

My late sister spent a considerable amount of time in Lodge Moor due to polio in the late 1940s, this horrible disease robbed her of the use of her legs. Sadly she was also born blind, cruel world sometimes.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, I was in lodge moor as a spinal patient from June 1972 to November of that year.

I remember going to chat to Dennis as many of our other spinal patients did.

im sorry I don’t remember Mike Kelly. I probably would have done if I had been local but I was from the north east.

id been a student at totley teaching college at the time of my accident

i remember hobby, sister cauldwell, Harry Charles, ted Goddard 

there was also sister Taylor who married a previous patient Frank taylor I think?

inhad a horrible physio. The worst. I would’ve fared better with someone like Harry or ted.

I couldn’t stand her.

Initials were E P

we also had mr hardy, dr Watson and mr Thomas was urology

hobby was scary but a good nurse whose heart was in the right place.

thered have been none of this covid nonsense on her ward. It was spotless

Monday nights were film nights and visitors were Wednesdays, Saturdays and Sundays.

I made some good friends there..some have  passed on which was sad

we all went our own ways afterwards as not too many of us were local